Off property riding

Yesterday, I loaded the boys up for a ride at the pony club. I've been a bit unmotivated at home, unless we are jumping things so I thought a change in scenery would do us all good!

Henry was up first, since he will be the one who takes longest to settle and I can trust Coolie to finish our ride in the dark safely. Hen is really getting the hang of going new places and just taking it all in. He hasn't been up to the club since last year so it was all new to him still.

He is such a good boy at standing to be tack up!

We tacked up and started out in the arena, hoping to progress to cross country! He was nervous and tense, but listened really well. We did transitions until he was focused on me and then we started working on trot. He was actually super for the whole ride and listened well even though he wanted to be distracted. I was very pleased that his turns on both reins were there. Yay!
He did have his brother close by though!

Once he settled and was listening to me, we walked out to the cross country course to have a play. He was immediately on high alert, so I went back to transitions and trying to get him to relax. It really didn't help that I was not relaxed and tense myself. We walked up and down the bank and over the ditch. We did a little bit of trotting but didn't go over anything because we were not in the right head space for it.
No right turn fail!

I was disappointed in myself for being so anxious about what Henry might do. For some reason I'm getting really hung up on my old horse again and am not riding the horse I have. It's frustrating because I know that Henry is a good boy and if he does get a little energetic it's because he is a baby horse, not because he is a bad horse. I usually know when Hen is getting a bit overwhelmed and shut down any behaviour before it gets too far. I also know that if he does do anything I'll be able to sit it out. So why do I get so worried about it?! Can I please have a new brain now?

Anyway, we ended our ride successfully and nothing happened. I plan on taking Henry up again next week and having Coolie closer to us to help him  us relax.
I swear he is bigger than Coolie!

Next I saddled Coolie, but we have been battling girth rubs and they have flared up again, this time on his elbows so I didn't end up riding since they were bothering him. I'm not sure if he might have a fungal infection or some other skin condition, or if the skin is just extra thin and sensitive but his elbows look very dry. I'm covering all bases and treating for bacterial and fungal infection. I have a new girth coming from the UK (special delivery by my in-laws!), so I am hoping it will help put this problem to rest. I hate that my pony is getting rubbed!  Fingers crossed they have healed for the weekend. Usually they have healed up in a day or so, so hopefully that is the case this time!
Please get better and less delicate!

Tomorrow Coolie and I have a show jumping lesson with Craig Barrett and Sunday we have a XC lesson. I'm really looking forward to it, I just need Coolie to not be feeling his rubs.

Comments

  1. it can be so hard to not always expect some shenanigans from the greenies on outings, even when they're being good. sounds like Henry was great tho! and good luck with the rubs, that's so frustrating. my horse gets dandruffy elbows too but so far they haven't progressed to rubs or anything like that. tho he also requires nothing but the softest, fuzziest, most flexible girths anyway.... #hesaprincess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping we are seeing the back of this whole rub thing. Although know sir delicate flower he will throw something new my way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts