The mystery of the swollen legs

Coolie has had 4 fats legs for a week. They came up last Tuesday morning and went down over the day with a bit of exercise. I figured the heat was affecting his circulation because I know I swell up when it gets hot!

Unicorn, or something else?

Wednesday his back legs were less swollen, and his front legs normal so I just continued on as usual. Thursday we had normal legs and Friday the back legs were swollen again. Saturday morning we again had 4 swollen legs. After our lesson his legs went down mostly.
Yeah, he was feeling pretty happy

Other than kankles, I couldn't find ANYTHING that was wrong. No heat, no lameness, he was eating, drinking, and pooping fine. He was happy to be ridden, not stiff at all and the swelling was decreasing after he was ridden.
REALLY happy

There were a couple of things I suspected, one was allergies because he was covered in insect bites despite having his cotton sheet on, the other was that he was reacting to something in his feed which we have been tweaking to suit his increased work load.

Ohh look, gallop jumps!
I hosed his legs and kept him turned out over night with his fly boots on to help prevent insect attack. Sunday came around and again, his legs were FAT. By this point I was questioning going to the clinic but again pony was his usual self. I trotted him out before we left and he was sound, I walked him when we got there and he was still sound, I warmed him up very carefully and didn't feel anything wrong, and he was super happy to be out there doing his thing.

Yeah, this pic everywhere!
We cut his feed back to chaff and hay, and kept him turned out over night. Monday his legs were down a bit but I decided that we needed the vet just in case.

Coolie and I headed off to the vet on Tuesday and the vet agreed with what I had found so far. There was nothing to indicate anything wrong with him, his heart rate, temperature, gut sounds etc. were normal. He was sound and happy, eating fine, pooping fine and generally a normal horse. other than having fat legs. The vet suspected a virus had passed through and caused a bit of edema, but we took bloods just to be sure there was nothing more sinister (liver and kidney failure). The vet said he was fine to be worked and it would do no harm.

Low and behold... His bloods came back normal! Soooo, hes got a bit of bute to help with the swelling and today his legs look almost normal. I think he just needed me to spend more money!

Who would have horses!

Comments

  1. ugh booooo fat legs :( my friend's thoroughbred is super sensitive and notorious for having her legs blow up with no provocation. so my friend basically has to put standing wraps or compression wraps on her after every hard work out. sometimes poultice can help too, i think. but yea, mostly they just want to spend our money! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually after XC I ice, poultice, and wrap because our ground is hard year round. They say if you can keep a horse sound in WA, you can keep a horse sound anywhere! I did all that this time but the swelling wouldn't shift, he just needed a little helping hand in the form of medication

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts