Investments

At Capel, Husband came up to me while I was chatting with our friends and told me he had spent all my money. I asked him how?! We had only been separate for a few minutes, he had been at the float and I was at the club rooms where there were places to actually spend money.
What I thought he might have spent money on

"What did you spend my money on?". "Well, I bumped into Bec and she was talking about bringing Manu and Jonna over. I said you would have at least 6 lessons". "Ahhh, ok, you can spend my money on that!".
What my money was really spent on

I strive to be a better rider, always. I want to learn, I want to be better. That doesn't always mean a ribbon (although they are nice!). I love watching lessons and seeing what a coach sees. I love a coach who can tell me how to improve in a way that I can continue to see the improvements at home. I analyse videos of me to see improvements that have been made, and where more work needs to be done. I love breaking it all down to build a horse up.
Good investment...

I don't think competitions show where we are in our training as well as a lesson can. Nothing beats the feeling of going to a lesson and knowing the homework you did is showing, that we can build on some more. I love when things click into place. Every lesson is an investment to a better horse and a better rider.

I have been really trying to re focus my riding this year, and change my mental attitude. Stop comparing myself to other riders, stop thinking about where I place. Start focusing on my own journey and focus on the improvements I can attain at every competition, not a ribbon or a placing. That's really hard for me because I am competitive. I like those ribbons, but they aren't good indicators of our training. 
Officially a coach? 

This weekend we have an eventing clinic with a new coach. Soon Manu is coming back and I have 4 lessons book. Jonna will be coming back in a few months and I know I'll have at least 2 lessons, maybe more. I am so excited to be working with all these people, and my coach to improve me as a rider, to help my horses go the best they can. And at the end of the day, i know it's going to be great fun!
Thank god I have these awesome people!

Comments

  1. oh man, i am such a lesson junkie too. nothing has made a bigger difference in helping me progress with my horse habit haha!

    slightly unrelated, my dressage trainer recently had me put my legs up in front of the saddle flap like yours are in a picture above, to drive home that feeling of where my seat needs to be. it was eye opening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why we did it! And I also had my eyes opened. Then she made me walk just using my seat and it was so HARD! I love that I will never stop learning

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts