Hot weather care

I live in WA, and from October to March it can be hot. We have had an unusually mild summer this year, most days getting to around 31C, with our hottest day being 38C. Usually we have summers where the temperature sits around 35C for days on end!
The best way to cool off!
This weekend we have had some more hot weather, yesterday getting to 36C and today getting to 38C and the overnight temperature not dropping under 26C. So I think it's fair to say it's quite warm.
Molasses water 
We went to the beach yesterday because there is nothing better to do on a warm day. however, there is a lot to consider on a warm day when it comes to horse care. As a rule, I wont float the horses on days over 35C, and if I have to I will do it early before it gets too hot. Obviously if we have an emergency this rule wont apply, but common sense prevails. It can get very warm in the float, even with good ventilation and it can't be nice to be stuck on a metal box.


I avoid riding in the high temperatures, and if I do ride I make it an easy bush ride. I generally wont ride on days that get over 38C.

The horses always have access to shade a lots of water. They get electrolytes, and their evening feed will be wetted to resemble slop to get a little the boys to have that little bit extra water.

I rug my horses in cotton rugs, it helps keep the insects off Coolie and Henry can get hotter without a rug due to his colouring. On really hot days they go naked to help them regulate their temperature.

During a heat wave, I will regularly horse the horses during the day and scrape them off to provide them some relief. If I ride, the horses will always get hosed and scraped. I will make sure their legs get cooled well, along with the rest of them to avoid any tendon damage.

Dakota loved to paddle!
I give them molasses water to encourage them to drink, and keep a close eye on them in general. Usually Coolie will paddle in the dam to cool off. Henry hasn't got there yet. He tends to nap flat out on his side in the sun.

Comments

Popular Posts