Craig Barrett Clinic - Show jumping

We headed off early on Saturday morning to our show jumping lesson of the Craig Barrett clinic. We were is the first class of the day with 3 other people, 2 of whom I have ridden with before and a new person, who I have previously compete against. A horrid insect had attached poor Coolie in the night so he was covered in bite marks but luckily none in a critical place.


We met Craig, who I've not been taught by before and I introduced us, summarising where we are at in our training. Craig sent us all out to walk, trot, and canter to warm up so he could assess us. Once he had seen where we were at, we cantered over 2 rails set at 5 strides apart. Coolie had his head in the game, so it was easy to get 5, and shorten his canter to get 6.

Following the canter poles we trotted over a small cross rail set as an oxer. Again Coolie felt fine and didn't rush off, just trotted in quietly and cantered away. He was really listening even though we were in a new place and in a group.

Next up we started working on a grid, a placing pole to a small cross, one stride to an oxer then 4 strides to a second oxer with a placing pole before each jump.

We trotted in and popped through starting small. Again Coolie didn't run through, but he was very buzzy. We did the grid several times, each time the height of the oxers was raised. After a few times through, Craig brought us all in to have a chat about what he was seeing. He said I needed to work on breaking down each part of the grid. Coolie likes to buzz through so it all blends together and I will half halt to help him out. Instead I need to focus on each part of the grid, so purposeful trot in, then jump, canter one stride, jump, canter 4 strides jump, rather than have Coolie go OMG GRID GO NOW DONE!

We went though again thinking of breaking it down and this time it felt much more purposeful and clear. Then we built the grid into a small course. The first part of the course our rhythm was not very good, but then I think I woke up a bit and thought about the canter rather than where I was going as much and the last 3 fences felt a lot better.

Our second time through the course Craig wanted me to be more active in getting the rhythm rather than wait for Coolie to get his sillies out. I went through the grid and Coolie was half asleep so he knocked the first oxer. We did it again and he was a bit more awake and we continued with the course. I though about my canter from the second I landed after the oxer and found a much better rhythm immediately. Despite having a very nice round we had two rails. I wasn't worried about them but Craig said if he wouldn't believe me if I told him we did because it was such a nice round, Coolie was just being lazy.

Our take home messages are to let Coolie make mistakes, at home don't half halt him in from of the fence, let him make a mistake and take a rail. He has to learn too.

I have to break down each exercise. So for the grid TROT, JUMP, CANTER, JUMP, CANTER x4, JUMP. Coolie likes to buzz though likes its all one thing rather than each individual requirement.

Craig was a very good teacher, clear and encouraging. It was good to go out and do what he wanted us to and then come in and talk about it rather than have him coach us through the course or the grid. He also explained how eventers need to change how they ride a SJ course, we need to be lighter in the contact to lift the horses off their forehand. Strong contact is perfect for XC but not so great for SJ.



I was very happy with how well Coolie jumped, and that none of the jumps looked bit. They could have all gone up! Confidence is maybe less elusive than I thought!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts