Mistakes

Henry and I did some jumping last night. I wanted to do something more exciting than flat work and couldn't quite get up the enthusiasm to take him for a bush ride. I also wanted to revisit what we had worked on with Jonna, chipping away at his training.

We warmed up as usual, testing the transitions and the turn in walk and trot before building it into the canter. I felt his canter was better, his upward transition more prompt and his downward transitions softer. He ran less on the right rein after the canter too.
Enthusiasm!

I trotted into the first cross and gave him the reins, letting him work out what he needed to do, letting him make mistakes. The hardest thing to do it just sit there, to let the fence come to us and then ride the horse on the other side. Henry went too run after the fence and I halted him before quietly asking him to walk. We picked up trot again and circled to the same cross. He ran off after again, but this time he halted with far less pressure. The third time he came to a halt with the softness I have been having without a jump in the way.
Not stopping lightly!

We came around again and he quietly trotted in and cantered away without rushing. I bought him back to trot and circled around to a second, new fence and he maintained the quiet rhythm.
Pats for stopping

We changed reins and after 2 repetitions he was soft and quiet. I let him make a mistake, and he learnt. I gave him a big pat and finished for the day.


More pats

Comments

  1. ugh halting quietly after a fence?? what even is that??? lol....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolie says he doesn't know! Henry says he is learning about it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts