First jump of 2018

After setting all the jumps up at the weekend Coolie and I had our first chance to jump since October last year! I hadn't realised it had been that long until I went back and checked. I kept the jumps low for our first session back, the biggest being about 80. I wasn't sure how my leg and confidence would be feeling.

Coolie warmed up FRESH! We warmed up over a single fence and boy was he feeling good to be jumping, leaping all over the place after the jump. I kept the canter quiet coming into the jump and repeated it until he calmed down. We then jumped over one of the jumps with the new flower underneath. I had walked him over them in the warm up and he didn't care but jumping required a rather more exciting effort!
Scary flowers might bite!
 We continued with the course and Coolie was feeling super, like he hadn't missed a day. We both felt confident although my leg really hurt on the landing, particularly on the left rein. We kept it short but it was a great first jump for the year! I forgot my neck strap and I wasn't with him enough and held too much but I can improve on all those things.

Comments

Popular Posts