All of the lights, all of the light!

Winter has always been a struggle of getting everything done before it gets too dark. I spend much of May-September operating by the light of a head torch. I muck out, rug, feed and sometimes ride in it. The head torch is great and has been a real lifesaver but I have wanted a more permanent arrangement for a while.
Sun rise moon

My grandparents sold their house last year and I inherited a 6m metal pole as a result. The plan was to mount a solar panel, battery and light on the pole in the paddock so I could ride in the winter evenings. This plan evolved over time and the final plan was to put the pole next to the horses yards, mount the solar panel on the yards, the battery in the yards and have lights on the pole to light the paddock and a light in the yards too.

The other weekend the ground was finally damp enough to dig a nice deep hole. So a hole was dug. I'm just going to take a second to appreciate how great this hole was. It was deep and narrow. It was a great hole!

Then when we went to put the pole in the hole it turned out to be much harder than we thought... so a new plan was developed. Instead we decided to fix a different pole to the side of the yards. No need for the nice hole that was already dug!
New pole

We spent a day getting at all set up, and my wonderful dad got the wiring sorted last weekend while we were away competing.
Making stuff

On Tuesday I had my first opportunity to use them. Henry was less than impressed! I doubt he's been ridden under lights before but in true Hen-wee style he didn't notice a difference.
Henry thinks the lights are just going to make his life much harder!

Comments

  1. it is so odd how so many different time zones in the world make it so hard to keep track of stuff :) Ha here we are sweltering BUT I do notice it is not staying light as long as it has been! So Fall/Winter is creeping closer BUT not as close as you have it now. Glad you got lights put in that makes the biggest difference I am sure!! Henry does NOT look impressed ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To us it is almost always yesterday in America! I'm yet to notice the days getting longer because it's been overcast a lot the last 2 weeks but I know it'll happen and then I will start to dread the summer. I find it strange that you have Christmas in winter, but my husband finds it strange we have it in Summer lol. The light are a life saver and make it so much easier to get everything done for sure :)
      I hope your new place is going well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts