Dryandra CNC - Cross Country

After SJ, we spent a couple of hours packing up camp, and watching Katie go clear and under time around her first 80 course to finish 4th! So proud of her and Ella!

My course was much the same as last year but the one important difference is that none of the fences scared me. Last year, a big square box right before the water concerned me hugely and I rode like crap to it. It didn't look nearly as big this year and I decided I would not hold my horse to it!
Featuring me holding on for grim death!
There were quite a few combinations, they all had really long striding though, and I was determined to ride forward and let Coolie work out his take off spot from a good set up, without me interfering in the last 2 strides.

I spent a bit of time warming him up, getting him stretching and swinging through his back. The first warm up arena was really boggy, and just had show jumps set up so I decided to wait until I moved into the second warm up area across the road to jump anything. I kept Coolie moving until we were called over, then jumped a small log a few times and had a discussion abut not running after jumps. Then I pointed him at a bigger fence, jumped it once and waited our turn.


The starters were extra friendly, which I always appreciate. Coolie was pretty wired in the start box, and I debated just trotting through it, but he stood quietly, if on high alert, until it was go time.

Jump one was a small log that he got a little deep to but flew over. 2 was a roll top that we jumped well, and 3 was a chevron that caused us no issues. I just kept repeating set and forget over and over, and really focused on the approach to each jump. We settled into a rhythm quickly and cruised along happily.

4AB was a bank combination, then a tight left turn to 5. 6AB was the first combination that while I wasn't concerned about jumping I knew I would have to ride forward to. About 10 strides out I half halted Coolie then kept my leg on to maintain the forward gallop but just allowed him to pick his own spot. He flew over the roll top at A, then powered 3 strides and over the quite substantial log at B.


That wound him up a bit, and I gave him a very firm half halt before the trekenher at 7. After the reminder he was completly on my side, and the rest of the course flew by. The dreaded box that I hated so much last year, I just let Coolie flow to it an he jumped right over and kept going!



Andrew said someone at the water commented on how easy Coolie was making it look, and I have to say it was so easy. We just rolled along checking each jump off. I really let him flow and once I set him up it was his responsibility to get us up and over safely.

We got a little deep to the house at the penultimate jump, but it had a sloping face so wasn't the end of the world. That was the only icky spot the whole course.



We finished the course with 2 seconds to spare and he felt amazing. I was thrilled, because it felt so confident and easy. Nothing worried either of us and it really made me realise that my horse is trained. We can do this, and we can do it well. If I trust him and let him do his job, he will do so with gusto.

I ended up finishing in 16th place, and while we didn't get a ribbon, I felt like I had won anyway. I rode exactly how I wanted to, there was no really bad moments and we felt very capable and established. I also had so much fun on my horse, spending the weekend with friends.

Comments

  1. Gosh he just looks like the most fun cross country horse!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts