In which we fly

We have had a rather wet week this week so things have been quiet. We have a quiet weekend with only one thing planned, cross country training!

I went solo with my coach for the first time ever and had a really productive session and well and truly made up for last weekend!

We started out cantering over a small fence to warm up then added in a second fence to get a rhythm, up. then we went and popped a trakhener then added in another fence to start to build a small course. That was all very easy so we moved onto the mound that we have done quite a bit of this year.

We started over the small ski jump then quickly built up to the bigger ones and added in combinations. We started off with the 95 combination, a log on top of the mound, 2 strides down to a second log at the bottom. Then we moved on to a 105 combination, a log with a drop landing, then a 4 stride bending line to a skinny chevron. We drifted slightly through our turn and added a stride but it rode fine, not getting too close. The second time we also got 5, but it was the right choice for us because Coolie prefers to shorten his stride.

Next we did a bigger drop log with a tighter 3 stride turning line to a log. We just did the drop log a few times to get it right, I needed to rebalance at the top of the mound to make sure Coolie didn't put a chip in. I got it right the third time and when we added the second log it was so easy. It really highlighted how important it is to have your outside aides engaged to make sure you don't drift in the turns!

From there we jumped a couple of uprights and oxers just getting the rhythm and flow of a course up. They all went fine and I felt like I could have done the really big oxer.

Drops were on the agenda next and they were all very easy! A few repetitions and we moved on to apexs! We did the 95 one first and it was fine but we nailed it the second time over. Then I added another ski jump before coming around over the 105 apex. I was slightly nervous but I just kept my leg on and left Coolie alone and we got it right first time.

We finished on the water jump, practicing jumping in and out and then popped a jump 2 strides before a drop into water and then jumping out again.

The whole session Coolie and I were on our game and while we made a few mistakes it was such a productive session where you come out and go well, all the training is there! Everything just felt wonderful and after last weekend I was pleased we could have such an easy session.

The main things I have to do now are to be more selective with the canter rhythm, and then set Coolie up and LEAVE HIM ALONE. No picking. I have gotten a lot better with that but Coolie needs much less help now. He knows what he is doing and I need to let hi do it.

I am so proud of my boy! He is really amazing.

Comments

  1. aw he looks fantastic!! definitely wearing his game face!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts