Off The Track Clinic

Saturday was the big day, Henry's first really 'Big Deal' outing. Of course we have done a lot to get him to this point, he's been off the property so many times, been to lot of new places and in general been doing stuff since he came off the track, but this was his first experience with lots going on and being expected to work.

We are very fortunate here to have these clinics put on for free with coaches experienced with young and off the track horses. My coach is one of the coaches who teaches at the clinics, so I knew we would be in good hands no matter which coach we got. I nominated Henry and I for a flat lesson, but wasn't sure who the coach would be. I wasn't worried about who I got, we were there for the exposure, bringing the baby horse to a competition like environment but with a lot more control!

My lesson was at 9.30 so we got there in plenty of time to tack up and lunge Henry before our lesson. Henry loaded and traveled fine on his own, and unloaded fine, but was very nervous to be somewhere busy on his lonesome without his brother to watch his back. We parked somewhere that he could see the arenas and the other horses having lessons and he was intently watching them for the first few minutes. Then he realised no one was dying so started munching on his hay in a very relaxed manner!

Typically for me we got there way too early, but if I didn't allow so much time I would inevitably be running late. Husband wandered around and saw my coach teaching in the arena my lesson was to be held in so I had my fingers crossed she would stay in that arena. Then Husband stayed with Henry while I registered and got free stuff before I came back to tack up.
"Hi Dad!"

I lunged Henry and he was very relaxed, there were minimal dolphin leaps, and he very quickly stretched down and out. He listened to me even when he was distracted, so after a few laps on both reins we headed over to our arena since the previous lesson had finished.

I got a leg up and walked Henry around while I was chatting to my coach, making sure my bum was relaxed and I was breathing. My coach thought I had picked her lesson on purpose and was surprised to hear I had just been allocated her. Henry was understandably nervous and very wobbly, he was looking everywhere. There was a lot going on, horses warming up near the indoor and coming in and out, he could only just see them through some bushes so they were particularity concerning. There was another flatwork lesson happening in an arena near by, plus 2 jumping lessons in arenas close by. To add to all that our arena was surrounded by judges boxes and was right next to the coffee van. the coffee machine noise was VERY worrying if you ask Henry.

The other horses in my lesson arrived and Henry relaxed a bit having friends closer by. I fully expected to have no park button, and our other functions a bit dodgy but he stood quietly while we all introduced ourselves and heard what Bec had to say before starting the lesson.

We began by making sure we all had go and stop (4 baby green horses in one lesson!), then worked on turn in the walk. We took the same exercise into trot (pretty standard exercises for us). Our aides were all heavy, but nothing broke completely! Henry was also super working as part of the group, he even managed to change direction passing another horse with minimal problems, although freaked out less the second time!

The second exercise we did individually. Henry and I got to go first as the demo riders. Hen didn't love leaving his friends but focused on me and we completed the exercise easily. While the other went through the exercise Henry started to be done and our park started to fall apart. When we did the exercise on the other rein he was fairly sure he had finished for the day and was a bit expressive in his trot transition but nothing too crazy.

We finished up with an attempt to canter. By this time he was mentally tired and there was a lot of heel kicking and as soon as I got about 3 nice strides asked for the trot and let him finish on a good note.

Overall, I am so thrilled with him. He kept his shit together and was very ride-able. Sure he wasn't perfect but he was never uncontrollable, he tried his absolute best and never once felt like he was going to try anything really bad.

He handled the big atmosphere like a star, it was his first time in a group, first time in a proper arena, first really grown up outing and he really surpassed all my expectations. My coach was equally pleased with him too, and told me he really was one of the better babies there. We even met his half sister who was in our lesson. She was just as relaxed as him too.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts