Kicking goals

This weekend saw winter make itself felt here, after being so warm and dry since like October last year!
A break in the clouds mid storm

We had a quiet weekend planned, Henry was supposed to go XC training on Saturday but with storms rolling in on Friday we decided to cancel and go in fairer weather. Just as well really because it was very wet, we got a lot of rain in a short amount of time and it made for slippery conditions.

Instead we took the horses for a ride up at pony club, partially for the better footing, and partially to make use of the water I knew would be in the water jump there. Last year Henry made it very clear he did not like getting his feet wet, and he took a lot of convincing that not every puddle would have sharks in it. Because of this I try and make the most of every bit of water I can find!
Waiting out the rain

The rain was meant to be easing in the afternoon so we headed up and promptly got rained on. I lunged Hen and after very minimal work this week and the weather he was a total wild child. Seriously, he just trotted in circles stretching like you would not believe. Barley lifted his feet off the ground. This horse you guys. Total nutter.

Gave up waiting and went paddling
Hopped on and it rained again. The horses were NOT HAPPY but Henry worked well and even cantered in the big arena next to Coolie with no dramas. I took him out to the water jumped and Coolie splashed through first and Henry... walked right in. Um, right. So much for being a princess. Seems out our has pain of because he was happy to walk and trot through, and even stepped down off the little bank in the water.

What puddle?
I trotted him over some of the jumps and he jumped huge over everything. The rain had set in so we took the horses for a walk in the bush before we called it a day and headed home. Very happy with my ponies.
Just adding in a bit extra. 

Sunday was a day I had both been dreading and looking forward to. The HBF Run for a Reason where Husband, Emily and I had signed up to run 12km. we have been training for this for months, running about 4 times per week. I was nervous and excited about the run. I haven'r done anything like this before so didn't know what to expect, didn't know how much it was going to hurt, and didn't know if I would make the 12km. We had done up to 10km in training.

It was not as hard as I thought. The big atmosphere makes it much easier to push through. At 9km I knew I was gonna make it. Kilometer 11 was tough, the last 100m or so the worst! Pushed through though and finished with a time of 1.20.27. Turned out the last km was one of the fastest too, not bad! Already planning the next one. Only thing is so many of these runs clash with horse events and I know where my priorities lie!

So happy to be DONE!
When we finished running, we headed over to Brigadoon to watch some XC. All the rain made the ground very wet and slippery, jumps had been removed from the course and speeds lowered. There were no major incidents though but I was still glad that for once I wasn't riding (kinda, not really!)!


Comments

  1. Woo congrats on the race!! Also Henry looks adorable over that “extra” jump lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts