Dressage training

We had another really busy weekend this weekend, even though I didn't think we had that much planned. Always seems to be the way, but I would rather be busy than bored!

Saturday morning Coolie and I were off to a dressage training day. I have resolved to get out and do dressage as much as possible between now and our next event at the end of June, and I already have 2 more dressage days booked so I am doing well.


Saturday my first test was at 9.30 and my second at 9.50 so a nice easy morning and home by lunch, perfect really! We got to the venue which is about half an hour from home and started getting tacked up only to realise I had forgotten my girth. Thankfully my wonderful Husband saved the day and found a spare for me to use and we got on with dressage without further incident.

Coolie warmed up feeling nice and relaxed but forward and willing. We were doing 2 novice 2.2 tests because he works so much better with things to think about. Our first test felt really nice, Coolie was forward and worked well into the contact with very little tension and resistance. There were a few moments he fought me but overall it felt like quite a nice test. I made a few mistake too, I felt like I kept getting lost but didn't do anything majorly wrong.

I chose to sit the whole test, I feel I maintain a better position and Coolie is less resistant because we have to work together for me to actually sit his trot. It mostly worked well, I just cant get him over his back and swinging as well which was reflected in the marks and the judges comments. Overall though it was a big improvement, we didn't score below 5.5 and we had 4 7's! The judges comments were very helpful and gave me a good idea of what to work towards.

Our second test felt a bit flat and didn't score as well as a result but again there was less tension and I kept Coolie on side better. The marks reflected the lack of energy and we had similar comments across both tests.

Overall a very helpful day out, and we headed home via the bakery with plenty of time to do things that didn't involve horses, like shopping and going for delicious dinner with friends.




Comments

Popular Posts