Holes

I think it is safe to say, I have never been a good knitter. The finished product always looked a little moth eaten. I am much better at crochet though, I can make actual things!

Horse training I hope is another thing I hope is a little less holey for me. With every horse i train I learn something, and work out how to avoid the same mistakes.I was determined with Henry to make sure there would be NO HOLES.

This is mostly going ok, we are taking things slowly, building him up and making sure all the basics are there. Except I think I have found a hole! Halt...

I am not really overly surprised by this, baby racehorses don't need to stand still. However big grown up eventing horses do.
Can stand at home!

He understands downward transitions and they are quite light, he gets 'stand' in the arena, but the concept of keeping his feet still for long periods escapes him a little. Under saddle, he will stand quietly if there is no pressure. Usually at the end of the ride and I try to halt him and have him stand anywhere during our rides. But whack the pressure up a notch and he JUST CAN'T HANDLE. Clearly there is a hole!
Less good at standing out

So it's a good wake up call for me to be consistent. I need to put pressure on him in a controlled environment and then get him to stand. We will slowly build up from there and hopefully the stand will come more easily when we are out and about. So we are back to working from the ground up. I'm off to find a tarp.

Progress is not linear!

Comments

Popular Posts