Desensitising

Monday morning I was full of excitement for the weekends coming final competition of the year. By Monday afternoon, these dreams had been dashed hard on the rocks. This time because the event didn't get enough entries and had to cancel. Boo!
More of this please!

I was feeling rather demotivated. I had planned on riding Coolie as he had just had 3 days off but I wasn't interested in schooling him with no show, a trail ride didn't appeal because I wanted to feel like I had achieved something and he is still having a few issues with sores from his girth (new girth required). So Henry drew the short stick.
We will get less unco one day

Usually I would only jump once per week, and never twice in a row. However things are a little different with a young horse. Sometime 2 back to back session really help cement an idea. Since Henry had jumped SO well on Sunday, I decided to jump again on Monday especially as he had lost a little confidence after knocking a rail.

First though, we had to expand a bit on our ground work. With a slight twist...
Umm no

I added a tarp. Henry was not convinced. But he had a sniff, and stood while I walked on it so he could hear the noise. He took a step, and JUMPED into the air when his foot touched the pole and the tarp. We took the poles away and I lead him up to it again. This time it was no big deal. He walked all over it, so we folded it out and he walked and stood on it.
Scary yes?

I mounted and again walked all over the tarp. Then we trotted over it too!
NOPE

FINE
After all that we started jumping getting straight into the exercise we had done the day before. Henry just trotted through like it was the easiest thing in the world. This time I made sure to not pull on his face and to go with him a bit more. We quickly build up to the 2 jumps and he was pretty happy with it all, landing in a cute little canter. Such a cute canter that the last time through I re-balanced him, kept my leg on and he popped through happily in canter. Good pony!
Dis is easy

I am being very conscious that this is a horse who needs his confidence built. He is coming along though and next time we might try a line of fences, and maybe putting them up a tiny bit!

Jumping is fun!

Comments

Popular Posts