Making plans

I hinted in my last post about making some changes.

This year we started out full of hope and expectations. The main one being that Dakota would be my main competition horse and Coolie would take the back seat, competing less but still out and about.
Did not happen

Then that didn't happen so Coolie had to stay number 1. He has been great and we have been going great. We have improved and he is a different horse to the one I had at the start of the year.

Dressage though is still our nemesis. We are so inconsistent despite the improvements we have had. And judges seem to hate him or think he is okish...
HARD

The other weekend following our test at Brigadoon, I had to have a big think. And then after our crash on the weekend I have had another big think.

All the thinking has led to a plan. Hopefully it is a good plan.

The Plan:
It seems to me that while Coolie loves jumping all the things, he likes working, he likes to be out and about, he does not like dressage. It is hard for him. We can expect to be ok, and when the stars align we can place but those times are few and far between. To be honest I think he know at some venues we get to go do the fun stuff, and he just wants to skip to that.
FUN THINGZ

So next year we are scaling back. We will do fewer events, and really pick where we go. We will really focus on the fun things so we will go to hunter trials and just enjoy ourselves. I will take away my exception of placing. It is doing me no favours. I will insist on improving though!

We will also try and get to more dressage things! Yay...
UGH

My nerves of 105 have been trying to tell me something I think. And after this weekend I feel like I have finally drilled down to what that is. If I get everything perfect approaching a fence it happens, and it happens well. If I make a mistake, Coolie doesn't have the athleticism to get us out of it and it worries me.

Sure we can do the height. We have been doing it at home for a while but I can't get it right in a comp. So, 105 is off the cards. 95 is still a challenge for us, and really what am I trying to prove, and to who?
Can 105 at home...

This year we will finish strong. We will have fun at our last 2 events, and we will improve.

Next year we will do less, but we will LOVE every second of it. We will get really good at 95!

Comments

Popular Posts