Worries, no worries!

Yesterday I had plans to take the horses up to pony club to meet up with my coach and a friend for a ride. As always I went to catch Coolie first and as I was leading him up I noticed he was very shuffly in front. I trotted him a few strides and he was very lame. I thorough look at his legs showed there was no swelling or heat anywhere. I was a little concerned but he wasn't dying so I popped him back in the paddock and took Henry solo to the club.

Henry was a star working happily with his 2 mates in the arena. He wasn't bothered when my coaches young horse had a spook and didn't seem to mind other horses working around him. We all went for a walk around the big arena and the cross country course, and had a little play on the bank and over the ditch again.

It is so interesting seeing how different all young horses handle things. Where Henry was really relaxed about the bank and the ditch the first time he saw them, Wes was a lot more reactive and nervous about them.

Henry was incredibly well behaved in the group and was happy to work independently of them too. All up it was another successful baby outing.

This morning Coolie looked worse so off we went to the vet. I had been thinking the worst all night (although rational brain told me it was a stone bruise or an abscess).

The vet had a good look, and felt he had a slight digital pulse. He was reactive to the hoof testers and it turns out all the rain we have been having has softened his hooves and he has a stone bruise. No sign of an abscess which is good. So he has bute and orders for rest and we have something to toughen his soles up. I am quite relieved!

Comments

Popular Posts