Time

Time... I just don't have enough of it!

This winter has been tough, trying to keep two horses in work with short days and having to float out to ride, or go in the bush. Coolie is easy, while he needs consistent work I can school him in the bush or let him have a few days off and pick him right back up again. Henry however needs more constant work, which he just hasn't been getting. I'll get a few weeks where he gets solid work, then Coolie will have a competition and Henry will get left. Then I pick him back up again and he will be fresh and feeling well, and I have to start all over again getting him to work properly.

This week I have been focusing on Henry, who has had the better part of 3 weeks off. I lunged him before I rode on Tuesday and he had feelings about it! He is feeling amazing at the moment and wanted to show off. Exactly why I lunged him! He was perfect under saddle and I kept the ride pretty short.

Yesterday we had a longer ride and again he was really good. the time off certainly does him no harm, but it can be tricky getting a young fit horse to work well when he has so much time off and I am so time poor. He is so much better into the contact and oh man our transitions are great! He is so responsive and light! I am pleased with how our training is coming a long. i just wish I could put more time into him.

Today it's raining again, but i think i will have to ride anyway and hope the paddock isn't too wet. We have a lesson tomorrow and I really don't want to give fresh, young Henry another day off. Coolie also needs to be ridden but i don't know when I will have time to do that! Can someone lend me some more daylight hours?

I am looking forward to having a lesson tomorrow, we are going to have it up at Walliston to work in a different environment. Should be productive! Then Saturday Coolie has XC training. I can't wait! Sunday Henry has adult riders, we have another flat work lesson there. He will also get ridden on Saturday to have one last tune up. Hopefully after a week of work he will be able to concentrate on me.

I have been feeling very time poor recently and like i just don't have enough time for both of the boys. It seems if I try and work one, the other doesn't get enough. I think I need to get my priorities right, and a better balance.

Does anyone having any tips for working 2 horses without an arena? I know I can school in the bush but that doesn't work for Henry and our days are still short. How do other people fit it in? Am I fighting a losing battle?

Comments

  1. I commend you for working with 2 horses- time is definitely something I wish I had more of! Have fun on XC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it! I think most people wish for more time. Or less work?

      Delete
  2. ugh i've toyed with the idea of two horses before but just can't figure out any way to make the time work. and i actually have arenas and lights and all that (tho i also have a significant community...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an arena would help me a lot, but it's not an option. I have also contemplated moving them to an agistment center too. I have had 2 horses before and not felt like I have struggle this much, but then the second horse wasn't needing quite as much work.

      Delete
  3. Having 2 horses is certainly difficult. For a time I was riding Amber and popping on Whisper occasionally too and it was just a lot. But I got off of work at 2 in the afternoon so I was able to ride them before the sun set at 5. Which doesn't help you much lol. I unfortunately don't have any ideas. I hope your XC school is fun tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, if I finished at 2 I would get so much more done! It's hard to do the both of them and have quality in my rides.

      XC will make everything better!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts