More buttons

Henry and I fronted up for our lesson bright and early Friday morning. It was cold, and it was very peaceful as we tacked up while the sun rose. We started out by updating Jonna on what I had done with him, I told him out of the last 6 weeks, Henry had been in work for about 3 of them.

We started with the walk, making sure I could move his shoulders. Then we did a few transitions to trot to make sure they were good too, then we started to work within the pace, pushing Henry out to as big a trot as he could do without catering and then bringing him back again.
He prefers going like this

On the right rein he trotted very nicely on one side of the arena, but on the other side at about V he would break to canter.  A few repititions got that sorted.

Jonna also noted that Henry would stall in the corner by the gate. We worked through this by asking him to move his shoulders by indirect rein to the outside. Henry continued to stall and put his head up. As soon as he put his head down and took a step I released the pressure. We broke it down a step further for home and I asked him to drop his head through the corner. This got a better response so then I asked him to keep forward through the corner while dropping his head and after a few repetitions he continued in the corner in self carriage.

After we got Henry more relaxed, Jonna asked me to shorten Henrys trot as much as I could without him breaking to walk. Henry found this really hard, and it took quite a bit to get it. This is our main bit of homework.

We moved on to canter, and Jonna had me do some transitions within the pace, asking Henry to go more forward down the long side, then come back to me on the short side. Henry found this really easy and he was light off my aides after just a few goes.

Jonna asked us if we could do some shallow canter counter loops and I showed off by doing them well on both reins.
Showing off

Our homework is getting the trot more adjustable and to work on lifting Henry's shoulders and keeping him off the forehand.

After our lesson I rushed home to jump in the shower and then spend a day being the most girly I have ever been in preparation to be a bridesmaid for one of my best friends. I surprised myself by enjoying it!


Comments

  1. jealous it is nice enough to wear a vest there and long sleeves. ;) Ha on being a bridesmaid. Thank god all my friends are married already :)

    Henry looks great in those photos. I am jealous you are getting to ride so much too:) HA HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a million degrees here soon enough, it's already started to get warm! Making the most of it while I can. Re being a bridesmaid, I have to do it all again in 2 weeks for another friend, it's crazy around here!

      I think he looks pretty good too, thanks! I couldn't not ride for as long as you have, i would be going crazy!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts