Mud, glorious mud!

We have had a lot of rain here over the last few weeks. To the point where I have never seen the paddocks so wet, the yards can't be used except to keep the hay dry and for the boys to have somewhere dry to stand while they eat their dinner (if I lock them in they will stand in the saturated sand, rather than the nice dry sand), and I can't ride at home. The dam is full, the creek has burst it's banks and most of the local XC courses are closed.
Wet paddock

We have been float up to pony club for the last 2 weeks to ride. It takes quite a lot of time, so it means my riding time is tight, but I am thankful to have access to the grounds.
Full dam

The big arena is great for pace work, it's about 900m around with good footing so I can get good practice at galloping. Coolie and I did some work yesterday and gosh it was fun! We had a really productive session, Coolie was keen, responsive and I got a good gauge of his fitness. We have Wooroloo in 2 weeks and that is one hilly course. I have been feeling under prepared.
Orange ears ready to GO!

After we did some galloping we made use of the small XC course, just to practice the flow of fences since we haven't had a chance to get out on XC since Dryandra. Something is better than nothing! Coolie was very gung ho and we got a few yuck spots but ended with quite a nice, flowing round.
It's also been FREEZING... for Perth lol

The big arena has also been good to get Coolie really stretching in the warm up and helping loosen him up. We have also been working on a few trickier things that can be a bit tight in the paddock at home.
He so cute. We need to lift our shoulders though

Henry has been ridden up there a few times too and mostly has been a really good boy. I am hoping the weather tonight is kind to us and we can have some fun! I am torn if I jump him, or just flat him. I think I will decide when I get there. The float it packed with all our gear after all!
More lift in canter!

Comments

  1. thank goodness you have somewhere that you can go ride at when the weather is horrible UGH i keep thinking that will be me in 6 months, mud and gross everywhere :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'll be at the beach in the sun! Probably complaining abut how hot it is...

      at least in summer I can ride 2 most days

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts