A BIG update

Well, a lot has happened this year since Capel! It has been a tough year but looking back there has been so many amazing things happen.

After Capel we went to Harvey. We had a much better weekend with a improved dressage and show jumping and our cross country felt a lot more solid.

Harvey XC

Moora saw a more tense dressage but again a better show jumping and cross country round. it was SO dry and dusty. We have a bit of a drought happening.
So dry at Moora

From there Wooroloo... amazing dressage put us in 9th, a massive achievement. Then we went clear show jumping, one of a handful of rounds that was and a clear cross country round saw us in the placings with 5th! I was stoked and it was the most incredible weekend. We got the all clear from my coach to upgrade to 105 which I was equally nervous and excited about.
Good dressage!

Winners are grinners!

In preparation for our upgrade at Brigadoon we went XC training which went super well, Coolie felt amazing and tackled the bigger fences with gusto. The day after we went show jumping and he felt great int he lower round but we crashed and burnt in the 105 and had our confidence knocked. i did not ride forward enough! When I did he was great but the damage was done.

I down graded to 95 for Brigadoon and after a lot of soul searching finally allowed myself to feel ok about it. I was thankful for the decision as a horse died on course that weekend and I didn't ride well causing us to have a stop. Brigadoon was just a bit of a fail all round for us.
But we look ok here!

On to Dryandra which saw a much better weekend, with a super dressage. 2 rails down in sj put us out of the placings but Coolie felt great around the cross country. I really have to ride him and there were still plenty of challenges at 95.
Biggest box jump ever

Now we are preparing for Gidgegannup CNC in a few weeks time, again at 95 as I just don't feel I have the confidence to go 105 with Coolie yet. He is not the boldest horse and the big square oxers worry me so I feel that while we may get there one day I have to feel confident first. There is NO point upgrading and ruining our confidence and at the end of the day this is a hobby that I do for fun (and I am not letting anyone down by not upgrading. Took me a long time really get that!).

Dakota has spent the year so far in the paddock resting. She was bored and hated being retired. Since her retirement we have been searching for a new horse. We got pretty close to a couple, one I loved but on a second ride decided he was going to be too much horse. Very hard to walk away but for the best. Another failed a vetting. Many horses just weren't the right fit. I was torn between getting something green or getting a more established horse I wouldn't have to do the firsts with as another horse just wasn't in my plan.

I also swung between wanting another ridden horse and not wanting one. after the horse failed the vetting I decided to not get another horse. I bought a saddle instead, thinking I wouldn't be parting with the money for a horse.

Two weeks later I saw an ad for a 3yo off the track gelding. I thought well, a look wont hurt... From first sit I was in love. Second sit I was more in love... then we had to vet. I was SO nervous and I think the vet was too, having seen what we have been through recently.

General health check was fine, onto the flexions. First one... only ran half way down the drive, a good sign. Second one and I still didn't run the whole way. I know the further I run the worse the flexion. It was the same for all the flexions and I breathed a bit sigh of relief. On the lunge he was taking the odd short stride on his near fore but a through investigation showed it was probably his hoof being a tough more upright as flexions, palpitation, lunging on the arena and hoof testers showed nothing.
Henry!

So we bough a horse! Henry was far too slow to be a race horse and he has been with a a month and is the main motivation for starting to write again. I want to document his progress.

First ride at home

D and Coolie were not very welcoming. Poor fellow but he has settled in well and coming on in leaps and bounds.

Andrew and I both knew that if we found another horse we would have to find a solution for Dakota. we only have enough land for 2. We have been discussing all the options since January and prior to finding Henry we had made a decision. Dakota hated being retired. She never understood why she wasn't being ridden. She loved her job and was so bored in the paddock.

Deep down we knew that she would hate being in retirement agistment. she was also unsound in the paddock and after a long discussion with the vet who confirmed our thoughts we decided that the best thing for her was to put her down.

Even knowing it was for the best it was the hardest decision to make. I have felt so much guilt and doubt about it, second guessed myself more times than I can count and cried endlessly. Dakota is now in our hearts where she will remain for ever as the best horse we ever owned. Her time with us was too short and we all miss her everyday.












I hope the future has better things for us in store but Henry and Coolie make us smile everyday.


Comments

Popular Posts