Rhythm, pace, adjustability

Coolie and I had a jumping lesson last night.

We started with a line of 5 canter poles. I looked at it and thought "this is going to be really hard work", so I picked up a slow, bouncy canter off the left rein and lined up the first pole. Coolie nailed it! We did it a few more times to the left and each time Coolie just cantered over them in self carriage like it was no big deal.

So then we went off the right rein. Me and my coach were both like "well, this will be harder!". Got the right canter... and just stayed there! Never have I been so excited about cantering over poles!


That pretty much set the tone for the lesson. After 5 years of fighting Coolie to get him adjustable and to maintain the rhythm, he just did it. And it was so easy. It makes all the fights, practice and consistency so worth while.

We went on to jump a little course, practicing related lines and turns and it all felt pretty food. We also practiced an oxer to a skinny. It walked 4 but for us 5 strides and more of a turn works better. I feel like I ride so much better when I think less too!

Oxer to skinny
Some major take home points form the lesson were to take the hand break off, give over fences more when I ask him to move up to them,  and to not throw myself at fences.

It was a really great lesson and I am so proud of my little horse!


Comments

Popular Posts