Snorkel required

So far this June we are on track to have the wettest month in 25 years. It hasn't been raining constantly but when it does it is dumping water on us. It's that time of the year when the days are short and it's wet, cold and miserable and I struggle to ride in a productive manner.

Henry has been very lucky in his life so far, he has never really been ridden in the rain. He doesn't like it much and if it's too wet I can't really ride at home because we don't have an arena, or somewhere undercover to tack up. It's a little bit tricky to say the least.

Anyway, I had a lesson booked for Wednesday and the rain held off until I pulled in at my coaches place which is about typical. It rained and rained and turned the arena into a lake. It was obviously a sign my lesson wasn't going to happen because my coach double booked herself and wasn't even there. Bugger. Instead I made the most of an arena and rode Henry anyway. My undies were already wet by that point. 

Other than being slightly more reactive than normal Henry was a very good boy. We worked on transitions a bit, and changing the rein, trying to maintain contact and pace which is something I have been struggling a bit with. Even though he's been worked at home I felt like I could do a bit more since we had an actual arena with a surface, rather than just my well loved paddock. My paddock is great and serves me well, but it can be slippery and I hate churning it up. It has to be an actual paddock so I hate losing precious grass unnecessarily. 

Honestly if there was 2 things I'd change about keeping the horses at home, it would be to put in an arena and a roof where I tack up. But since we live in WA and the weather is shit for about 4 weeks of the year I make do and try not to complain too much. We need the rain so I try to just embrace it.  

I have been contemplating how best to keep Henry in work in the lead up to Gidge. I have contemplated putting him in agistment for the week leading up to the event but instead I'll schedule some lessons. It will cost me about the same and I figure he will be more comfortable at home. It also means that we will be whipped into shape and be able to put our best hoof forward. 

I am tentatively excited for the event but also a little bit apprehensive. I wont say nervous because we are too far out for me to feel like that. I guess I am just worrying about how Henry might react in undoubtedly the biggest atmosphere he's been in with me. I know he will probably be absolutely fine, and I am hoping the competitions I have entered next month will help me put to bed those worries.

I have a lesson this weekend which I am looking forward to. It's looking pretty wet so I think it's going to be a case of picking the best time to ride and planning what I'll do when. I imagine we will be getting quite a few bush rides in and I'll have to be diligent to work on things rather than just potter on a long rein. I had plans for riding Coolie more too, but it hasn't happened yet. I should probably pull some jumps out too, but that is pending rainfall!

Comments

  1. I don't mind riding in extreme cold and heat, but I don't do rain. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate riding in the rain. If I’m already out and it starts raining, I’m fine, but actually tacking up and getting on is a whole ‘nother thing. I hope the rain holds off for your lesson!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts