Foot perfect

This weekend we were supposed to be cross country training, but a severe weather warning has meant that the other people I was going with have pulled out. I was firmly on the wait and see bandwagon but they pulled the pin early. That’s fine, it’s supposed to really horrible tonight and might make things rough for tomorrow morning when we are meant to go.
Yuck!

Instead I formed plan B. I often have plan a, b, c, and d up my sleeve because horses. Plan b was to go this morning on our own without my coach. It wasn’t my favourite plan but I also have confidence in my own ability to work through any issues that might come up. I really wanted to train one combination on the course, the coffin so when we compete it’s not a massive surprise to Henry.

I pitched my idea to Andrew; get up early, feed all the horses including the extras we have for the weekend and go and train before an appointment I had at 11. Thankfully my husband is mostly on board with my harebrained schemes and was ready to help me out. He’s a good egg.

We were slightly late in leaving but a team effort got Henry tacked up in record time and we went off to warm up. This was the first time I’ve taken Henry somewhere that he would be totally alone, we had the course to ourselves. He spent a bit of time staring into the distance expecting his friends to rock up but got right to work when asked. He really is the best. A new course w cause any desmans what so ever. Such a grown up boy.
Goodest boy!

We warmed up over a log and he cruised over trotting first, then cantering. No problems there so we did the bigger log which was also not an issue. We moved to the second set of jumps which were all pretty easy and then came to the chevrons. I showed it to him first and then trotted in. Henry didn’t even hesitate and jumped it perfectly so we came around in canter. That was great too so I did the bugger one. He didn’t even blink and soared right over, leaving me behind. Oops! We came around again and this time I stuck with him and didn’t pull on his mouth. I obviously still have some work to do in my release.

We walked over to the dry water complex next and played with the up and down banks. Henry felt super confident and happy, so we strung a few jumps together. I stayed with him and we met each fence well so moved on quickly.
It looks unco but it's not

As we moved to the next set of jumps there was a portable chevron in the middle of nowhere. I thought it would be a good test, so trotted in. I wasn’t very committed though and Henry backed off a bit too. So we dribbled in and Henry was like ok I’ll still jump since he knows he can do it now. Me though? I told him to stop. He was a good boy and did as he was told and I booted my butt into gear and re presented. Henry jumped it absolutely fine, despite his silly rider. No idea what I was thinking.

We came to the trekhanners next and I hadn’t really planned on schooling them at all, deciding I’d be more confident if I were coached through it. I walked Henry over the ditch next to them and decided he could do it. I rode positively and he soared over because he knows his job. Clever boy!

I schooled some more banks next and a ski jump. Henry hasn’t done one of those but since we were feeling so great I gave it a shot. It was a brush too which was also new to him. He cleared the brush and jumped off with no issues but the landing surprised him a bit. Nothing crazy, he just sped up after landing. It was pretty great for a first go for sure!

Lastly was the coffin and first I trotted the ditch on its own. Considering I have ended up in a ditch he really isn’t afraid of them at all if he can see it clearly. Oh game him no issues so I added the upright and the ditch together which was also easy. We schooled the bigger ditch too and again he was confident and bold.

It was amazing to feel how all our work last weekend has improved Henry’s confidence and form around the course. He knew exactly where his legs were and nothing worries him at all where he might have checked in with me before. He was so responsive to my aides and 100% with me the whole time. It was so cool to see our work pay off so quickly.

All in all it was a fantastic session, Henry is feeling amazing. He really knows what we are doing and I’m so excited for our event. I wish I could bottle my confidence, instead I’ll just have to remember on the weekend. Henry is the best fun and is the goodest boy ever.

Comments

  1. You guys look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys look great! He has such cute form over fences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts