Confidence

After my first lesson with Jonna, I was determined to ride better and be more present. I woke up on Saturday with a completely different mind set, determined and confident.

Henry was feeling full of beans despite having worked hard the evening before. I warmed Henry up, expecting Jonna to want to hop on but after a quick walk, trot and canter we got right to jumping.

Henry was feeling very responsive to all the aides but still a little bit like he wanted to buck. I kept him forward and cantered towards our first fence. Jonna wanted us to halt right after the first jump, Henry felt a bit backed off so I supported him with my leg and he got a good spot and jumped well, and halted promptly on the other side.We came around again and his time his halt was even sharper.


Third time around, Jonna had us continue to the second fence and I felt I needed a transition on the other side so brought him back to a walk. Fourth time around and we got it spot on. Added bonus I was feeling super confident and happy to push the boundaries. If he felt a bit like he was going to buck, I just pushed him forward and got on with life. The tuned up from Jonna was showing through, and Henry was responding to tiny changes I was making, which sure made my job easy.

Jonna had us revisit the bounce. We did it 3 times and kiddo was perfect each time. Jonna was pleased that Henry knew what was being asked of him and he didn't worry abut it at all, maintaining the same approach and departure at the jump.

Next up we approached the double from the opposite direction, the direction Henry was more reactive to the night before. Again, Jonna had me halt between the fences the first time, and second time around we kept going, Henry felt awesome and popped over well, and maintained a good canter away from the jump.

First time though in the corner after the jump Henry had a little pig root. I immediately half halted and sent him forward. We came through the jumps again and he didn't do it again. We successfully deleted the behaviour. He then tried to do it on the long side so again I sent him forward.


I'd just like to point out that previously I have been too scared to do this. Saturday though, I got on with it, having a bit of faith in my horse and my ability.

We had a quick walk break and Jonna adjusted some more jumps for us. Next we tackled a small jump made of blocks. I showed it to Hen first and then came around and kiddo cantered over perfectly. We repeated and I got him to a better spot, then we kept going around to the second jump of the double which he popped with no trouble.


This video is from Friday, Andrew was doing show jumping things all day Saturday and sadly missed my lesson

Next we jumped a related line with about a million stride between the 2 jumps. Henry had a nice forward canted and when we landed I sat up and put my shoulders back, he steadied and we kept cantering to the second fence. He did really well down the line and we repeated it again, just making some small adjustments to get things better.
Look at his little face!

We walked again before tackling the blocks and the related line from the other direction. Henry tackled the blocks well and as we were cantering towards the related line I had this amazing feeling that this horse was not green, that he was a horse I'd want to compete on and despite everything we have been through I felt like I could handle anything he threw at me and I felt like I do when I ride Coolie.


Kid jumped the related line ok from the other direction, he was light off my aides but a bit wobbly between the fences. I supported him more on our second time around and again just asked him to pay more attention. After the second time though Jonna and I had a chat and he said the way I was riding was perfect. I was with my horse and making good decisions. He said the second time through I ask Henry first if he was listening with a half halt and the second time I asked him to change his rhythm. He said I gave Henry the perfect ride.

We tackled that line one more time and then called it a day.

This lesson was completely different to the one on Friday night.  I felt confident, and I supported my horse properly. I rode forward when I needed to and I could smile and laugh during my ride. I didn't feel at all nervous at any point and it was a ver productive session.

I feel like for the first time in a very log time I trust my own ability I know I can ride and that I wont cone off. I trust my horse too. I trust my coaches.

My lessons were both very different but equally productive. I needed them both to see how much I am capable of, and that I can push my horse and handle his antics. My lessons were tough but I needed them.

It was very productive to watch Jonna ride Henry. All it took was 5 minutes and Jonna had him sorted, plus I could see that Hen is harmless. My near miss showed me I could stay on in most situations.

My confidence has bene building slowly for a while but these lessons sealed the deal. I feel like I can continue with my horse and have some fun. I feel like I can handle him no matter the situation and that I can trust myself as a horse person, that I have the tools to sort any issues out.

It was an incredible 2 lessons, and I feel so positive!

Comments

Popular Posts