Flat tyre

Finally, after 8 weeks out Henry and I went for a lesson! He was happy to hop on the float and very ready for action when we got there, not helped by my coaches young horse also feeling fresh in his paddock next to the arena. It was generally a very exciting arvo for all the horses, even the veteran had a canter around. 

Henry so wanted to be distracted and while he started out relaxed but forward, it changed to tension with all the action. He wanted to react so much but since he's a good boy who listens to his mother he got on with it for the most part other than shortening his stride and putting his ears up my nose a few times. 

I caught Bec up on recent happenings, updated her on our fitness and stamina (not what it was!) and she said she would teach me as normal but to let her know if we needed a break. I am pleased to say that I could ride in the lesson as I would normally minus getting a bit puffed a few times.

Bec had our pole box set up which we use frequently and is proving to be more and more versatile. We keep inventing new ways to use it and because it's about an 18m circle, it makes you super accurate and accountable. There isn't much time to get things right, so If the horses reactions are a bit tardy, or your aides aren't timed well enough it shows!

Our lesson ended up focussing on turns and not stalling in the turns. Henry has obviously lost fitness after 8 weeks with very little work and so he has also lost muscle strength and it's so obvious when we turn right, He needs me to hold him up so he can slack off and it feels like he has a flat tyre. 

First up we did a 20m circle around all the poles and cones then spiralling  down to ride outside the poles but inside the cones. Once Hen was forward, soft and even in the contact we started leg yielding out around every second cone. Then to make it slightly harder, we leg yielded back in again. It was excellent for testing his responsiveness and to see how supple he was. He was much harder to move left than right but really it was quite even. 

Next we trotted through the circle in and out over 2 poles o a 12m circle. The idea was to keep the impulsion and rhythm through the turn. I found it quite hard, and Henry would add a little step before the first pole. I needed to keep my leg on to encourage him to stay forward through the turn, not drop back. It took quite a few repetitions before we both got it right. The left rein was better than the right, but I still need to remember to keep impulsion through turns.

We did the same exercises in canter which was much harder, again especially to the right. Again I need to remember to not hold with my right hand and focus on turning with the outside rein. It was tricky though we have done similar before. A break always highlights the areas that need the most work for sure!

It was a good first lesson back, Henry and I both worked hard and I got quite puffed a few times. I am NOT as fit as I was, and it is frustrating. Hen had a few days off after, though I suspect he wasn't quite ready for that level of work as his back is a bit sore now. Hopefully the saddle fitter will resolve that problem when she comes this weekend. 









Comments

Popular Posts