Limbo

Life recently has been quiet. It's been hot, so horsey activities haven't been as prevalent as previous summers. Plus we have a 4 week holiday coming up at a rather awkward time for competing so things have been going along quietly without much excitement.
Lots of pretty views though

That's not to say there hasn't been much riding because there has been lots of riding, just not many adventures, competitions or lessons. Instead we have been putting the hard yards in at home, working on transitions, self carriage, lateral work and learning the new tests. There has been plenty to get on with.

It's been nice to have a break and not have any big events to focus on, and I have found myself with more time to focus on both of the horses equally. Henry has a big month in March planned, with an outing nearly every week. It's been useful to use this downtime to really work on getting him ready to event.
Look at him go!

Henry has appreciated this extra attention, and has been coming along in leaps and bounds. He is happy in his work and a regular routine. He has started to love going out in the float, and his work ethic is huge.

I am looking forward to getting him out in the coming weeks, although I am a bit nervous too. I guess it's hard not to be when competing is still a bit of an unknown entity! I am determined to take a big breath and get on with it though, and really push him for his best. We can do it and I know Henry will prove to be much braver than me.
He is getting FANCY

Before we go away, Henry has 3 competitions and some lessons planned. He has something on almost every weekend at this point, before he has a big holiday. The rest if the season will depend on how he goes in the coming weeks, and how often we can get out XC training. I have a couple of events in mind for his first eventing start, but I will let him tell me when he is ready to take the next step. I know his XC is not solid enough to compete on just yet though, and I don't want to over face him. We have all the time in the world.
Oh look, a friend!

Coolie has been ticking along in the background, enjoying his bush rides and a bit of flatwork. My plans for him this year are very up in the air currently. I'm not sure how I feel about it if I'm being honest. Usually I have it all planned out, but having a holiday at the start of the season means I have had to take a step back and not have things so set in stone. It's odd not knowing when we will go eventing. This time last year we were gearing up for the first event of the season, and had been out XC quite a bit. This year we have had one lesson on the flat and jumped once at home. I don't think he minds having a quieter life for now!

It's weird being in limbo, but I think I'm making the most of it!
Ah yep, this is the life!

Comments

  1. Henry looks so good!! sounds like some exciting stuff coming up before the vacations :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry is looking really good. A 4 week vacation sounds amazing to me. Will you be traveling? Good luck with everything coming up next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are off to the UK. When travelling half the world away you need a good amount of time!

      Delete
  3. i want a four week vacation. without rain!!LOL enjoy your break and both your guys look great. that sky is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we were going to a nice sunny place... instead we are going to the UK hahaha

      Delete
  4. It can be hard to enjoy vacation when we have horses- I know my thoughts always wander back to them and what I could be doing to prep them for more shows. Try and relax and enjoy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily travelling half way across the world is great for focusing on holidays and not horses. Although i think there will be horses on holiday!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts