Good times and bad times

Things have been a bit hectic in non-horsey life recently, with OH and I moving house. I haven't been riding as much, but still keeping the horses ticking over and maintaining their fitness with our next few events on the horizon.

Wee jumps are fun!
Monday we had a little jump, and Dakota was very fresh! We worked a lot on not rushing, and not cantering on the spot. Apparently it's just so exciting all we can do is canter.

Skinnies? No worries!
Last night I had another flat work lesson with Dakota. it was not a good day for it... I have a cold, Dakota hurt herself in the float (not lame, just took some skin off), and as I was almost ready to hop on I got a phone call from my old horse Pete's owner. I just knew what it was about, he had been put down yesterday at the ripe old age of 25, as an infection from a tiny cut had got into his bone.

His owner was devastated, he was such a wonderful old man. He gave us so much joy. He was my best friend for a long time, and I have so much to thank him for. We had a lovely chat about him and a cry. When I hung up the phone I gave my orange pony a huge hug. I was glad to be able to hop straight on and be distracted by my lesson.

The wonderful Pete
We worked on keeping her straight, and fixing any bulges she may have. Right rein is easy as, left rein she bulges onto my left leg. So we need to strengthen her hind end, and get her straight.

It was such an amazing lesson, we had he going fantastically at the end in a lovely soft frame and working well from behind. She makes me work hard but she is so willing to give things a go.

This weekend the horses are both having a mini holiday as I am going for a girls weekend. So to kick it all off they get a lovely massage, and I get to wish it were me! Then back into it next week, counting down to Dakota's 80 debut.


Coolies orange ears





Comments

Popular Posts