Eastern Zone Horse Trials (Kellerberrin)

What a weekend!

I left work early on Friday to ride and wash Dakota. I also had the saddle fitter out to make sure everything was fitting correctly. A few minor adjustments later and the ponies were both happy with their saddles.

We then loaded the horses, dropped Coolie off for a sleep over and headed to Kellerberrin.

I decided to just take Dakota for the weekend to make sure she was my main focus. i wanted her to have the best possible chance for an encouraging first run at 80.

It took her longer than normal to settle, as she was without her friend and we stay with my Grandma, with the ponies in the back yard. She wasn't too stressed though and was her normal self on Saturday.

Our walk was ok... except for the bit we didn't walk

My main goals for the weekend were a relaxed test, and clear show jumping and cross country. She warmed up beautifully for dressage, listening and feeling very relaxed over her back. When it was time for us to go to the judge, I suddenly had a very tense pony! I got her to settle before we went in, but she broke into canter a lot during the test. I am sure it's not my nerves affecting her. Dressage isn't scary. I think she just doesn't like the white box! We got through and there were some nice-ish moments. And who likes dressage anyway?!

Fancy pony

After heading back to Grandma's for a chat and some biscuits, show jumping was next on the agenda.

As we walked up the road to the show grounds, someone snapped a photo of us! Very strange, as Kellerberrin is a rural town with lot of trotters.

Over number 1 no worries
D warmed up great and was listening really well, with minimal cantering on the spot. I have to admit I was a little nervous watching the riders before me have a number of refusals.

Number 7
8 was easy!
In we went and after presenting to the judge, cantered straight off, past 2 of the fences with the scariest fill. We came round and popped number one, easy as. Number 2 was a bit scary and although she had a look, jumped it no worries. 3 was a double and came up nicely, then a tight turn to 4. She was on the wrong lead, but popped it nicely. 5 was the biggest fence on course, and she flew over it without a worry. As we came round to 6, I was feeling a bit sick from adrenaline! 6 was easy, then 7 where lots of people had had trouble. I really rode her forward and she sailed over it without a worry. 8 was another easy fence, then an interesting turn to 9, a wall which she made sure got plenty of air! I was so happy to have a clear round. Such a clever pony!

Back to grandmas for a roast lunch, then off to walk the cross country course with Dad and OH. I am quite familiar with the course there as I have done it for some years so I had a fairly good idea of what to expect. 1-3 were all fine. 4 was the same as previous years, but HUGE! The solid part of the fence was small with a ditch in front, but had 1m of brush... I was glad I had done a lot of training with D, but I wasn't sure she would brush through it! The rest of the course was as expected. A few fences had been done up and most were to height. I made sure I walked the best lines to ensure D had time to look at all the fences before jumping.

MEGA BRUSH

Apex

OH 'modelling' 
After catching up with friends for a chat, we headed back and had dinner with Grandma.

Sunday and XC day turned out to be a bit wet! It rained all night, but thankfully cleared up to be a sunny morning, with perfect ground conditions.

OH was XC timing, so I joined him and watched the other riders start and finish their course. I watched friends leave the start box and urged them to come home clear. I was very disappointed when my friend had to retire on jump 6 in the 95, but was pleased she had conquered the fence she was most worried about!

Soon enough it was our turn. i was a little bit nervous, but thankfully my friend and I chatted as I waited to warm up, and D was feeling super and I was focused. In the start box it was raining a bit and I had a chat with the starter and then we were off! One was no problems, up the hill to 2, we had to battle the rain and wind! she slowed down a bit, but jumped it no problmes. 3 was a little chair she barley looked at. on to 4... the MEGA brush! She had a little spook at the jump judge, but focused on the fence and flew over like a champ! She didn't know what I was worried about! 5 she hopped over confidently, then took a huge leap out of the water at 6. 7 was easy, then a lovely canter stretch to 8, where we had to spook at a little spring over the track. 8 no worries, 9 was a fairly big apex that I had trained for during the week. She stayed straight on my line and jumped confidently. 10 was a drop, 11 a log stack, easy peasy. 12 was a trakhener which she barley looked at and 13 was easy too. On the approach to 14 I saw my grandma watching so after we cleared it shouted out 'Hi Grandma!', coz thats how I roll.
Making MEGA brush look tiny!

15 was another big brush which she gave plenty of air, 16 a box ramp thing and 17 the biggest fence on course, the sheep yard. She put in a big leap but wasn't worried at all. 18 was a wall, and 19 the last fence and home safe, clear of jumping penalties and just 14 seconds too slow!

I was so thrilled with her round we both had such a great time. I love training this little horse! She is so rewarding!

I deserve all the carrots!
 We cooled off and I fed her LOTS of carrots. I then took lunch to OH at the event and waited for scores. I was thrilled to have come 4th against some horses that have been doing 80 for a while! Sadly, the event only gave rosettes to 3rd, so nothing to show, but I am so proud of the Accidental Eventer for tackling her first 80 with such confidence. This little mare has big things to come!


Comments

Popular Posts