My better side

So, I have mentioned my OH a few times already which got me thinking I had better give some details on this amazing human bean.

Keeping me sane
I think by now we have established that horses are in my blood. I think about them every second of the day. I obsess over each tiny little thing. So if I were to ever marry a man, he would have to deal with this. Without it, I couldn't be me!

My OH is a converted horse person. We met dancing (swing dancing for the record. It is surprisingly similar to riding. If you wanna know what your horse feels like, try being a follow), and I wooed him with tales of chainsaws. Cos who doesn't like stories of girls with chainsaws?

Making sure we are all aware of our safety requirements
Our first week of dating saw him tag along to an event (where I had upgraded and placed... good luck charm?). As things progressed he got more and more involved. Turns out this guy also had some riding experience.

Course walking is much for amusing these days!
When it came time for my old horse and I to part ways I was left with a dilemma... I didn't have time for 2, but Coolie needed a buddy. So I asked OH if he would fancy his own horse, and he said yes! So we started looking.

Miss Dakota was the first pony we looked at and we both fell in love. We looked at her twice, vet checked her and brought her home. I made the joke that if I was buying him a horse, that was his engagement ring. She is our engagement horse.

Even though I have stolen Dakota, OH still rides with me in the bush and at the beach. He has been very graceful about handing over the reins. It was never part of the plan, but sometimes a great horse come along, and Dakota is a great horse.

It turns out OH loves the horses as much as I do. He has become super involved in eventing, making lots of friends and becoming a favourite volunteer at events. He is also interested in SJ and XC course design, so hopefully soon he will pursue this too.

OH cleans stables, makes dinners, picks up poles and can drive the float. He helps out with all the maintenance stuff and accompanies me to lessons and events. I honestly don't know how I did without him!

He is such a wonderful person and I am so privileged to have him in my life. The horses are so lucky to have a wonderful horse dad too! I don't know what I would do without my super groom these days!

Thank you for the hours spent cleaning stalls, watching lessons, filming rides, volunteering at events, putting up with me being grumpy, driving to country towns, moving hay and the million other things you do every day. Most of all, thanks for being you :)


Comments

Popular Posts