Lessons in weird times

Since we aren't in lock down yet I had a lesson last Friday. I tossed up if I should flat or jump, but decided to jump since we have been working very hard on the flat a good jump lesson is just  as beneficial for the flatwork as actually doing flat work.

Henry had a very easy week, only getting ridden once because it was HOT after work, so I expected him to be fresh. He was seriously chilled out though and he was exhausted by the time we were done!
Social distancing laws mean hubby can't come and watch

My coach and a few challenges set up for us and we had a very fun lesson. We warmed up over three canter poles, where I needed to keep Henry straight and bouncing coming in. I really needed to focus on keeping him straight to the right rein, and that set a theme for the day. I also needed to remember to ride him out if the turns to keep him moving up. The poles were pretty easy though and so they changed to be a jump with a take off and landing pole.

The jump really highlighted that I needed to ensure I was using my reins and legs effectively to guide Henry, and I need to think can I turn right on both reins. When I have the feeling that  i can it means he is straight. The jump off the right rein was harder to get right, it took me a few goes to get the line and pace correct, Henry thought it was very hard work having to sit on his butt that much. It was easier off the left rein but it was surprising how effecting I needed to be with my  right aides. When I was using them enough then the jump came up well, and we were straight. If I wasn't effective enough we would come in crooked and Henry would switch leads and get a bad take off.
Please enjoy these picture of Henry being cute

Next we added in two more jumps, starting with the one we had done, staying on the right rein and making a sharp turn to another upright, then a more generous turn to the block jump. It was  very simple but if  I didn't have Henry straight to the right rein it really  showed up as we would overshoot the turn and have to correct it in the short space  before the second fence. Then again to the third jump we would have a similar problem. The difference was obvious when I had the right rein under control, I had to be really onto it over the first  fence.

We worked a bit on the flat getting Henry to follow his nose on the right rein. we added 12m circles to make it clear for him, and I  had to be quick to ask and release as soon as he did what  I asked. Once we  got those three jumps right,  and it was hard, I had to think about all four of my limbs at once,  we built onto the  exercise  further.

Bec had 3 jumps set up in a S shape,  to  test our accuracy and further  highlight our weaknesses. I needed  to get Henry sort and turning before the first jump,  land looking  for the second jump, angle the second jump slightly, land left and make a tight turn to the third jump.

The first time through the first jump was lovely but I didn't ride Henry forward through the turn to the  second  jump  and he  backed off,  taking  a long  spot and we totally missed  the turn  to the  third fence. Second run through  was similar though the second jump  was marginally better and third time we finally got the third fence in though  on the incorrect lead. He  is still weak with his lead changes so it is to be expected. We had a breather while Bec and I talked it through and I suggested I needed to think about continuing on a circle after the first jump to keep Henry turning. I also needed to sharpen my go aide because Henry was very dull off the leg.

Once I thought about continuing the circle after the first jump, and keeping Henry forward to the second jump the exercise went much better. I also observed that henry will completely empty my right rein and I need to make sure he stays connected. I got a lot better at that over the course of the lesson and the work I have been doing on the flat was evident.

To finish we jumped a skinny chevron we haven't done before. I jumped it on its own first, ensuring I had hold of the right rein. I sat up had my leg on and Henry jumped it beautifully, it was very boring, but exactly what  we  wanted.We  built it into a bit of a course,  and  I need to remember to count  the stride out loud  to ensure the rhythm stays the same and  Henry stays forward to the jumps.

We also talked about exercises to do on the flat to get Henry  better on the  right rein. Bec  talked me through a passade, which is a bit like a walk pirouette. We also talked about walking and trotting squares to get me to use my aides properly. I need to remember to not let Henry turn with his butt too.

Sunrise!
It was  a very  useful lesson, loads to work on which will keep us busy. It was excellent for me to feel how much more effective I  am being with my aides but also where I need to work harder. i need to get Henry sharper off my leg, really pay attention to the right rein and use my legs. But also the lesson was a lot about me providing feedback and solutions to the problems I was having and that was equally useful to realise, because it means I can be confident that the solutions I come up with at home are correct. I am becoming very much a thinking rider, and so often these days my lessons are about discussions rather than instruction.

Comments

Popular Posts