Straightness

What better way to kick the weekend off than to have a lesson? It was a warm drizzly morning, and by the end Henry and I were soaked through, but it took a while!

We hadn't had a flatwork lesson since sometime last year, and we definitely needed a bit of help. First I updated Bec on what we had been doing, and how Henry was going. Then we got to work. We had a look at my position, and really focused on making sure I held the contact and didn't chuck it at Henry. So much harder than it sounds, right?
That misty stuff... it's RAIN!

We worked on preventing Henry from falling in on the right rein by spiraling in and using indirect rein to take us back out again. As soon as I touched the right rein, Henry would throw his head up and avoid working. I would of course let him because I wasn't holding the contact. We worked at it a bit and eventually we both got it. Holding the inside rein on his neck and using the outside rein to guide him over. I had to insist He stay flexed to the inside, checking I could see the bit ring.
Too hungry to care about getting wet

This exercise is something I have done with Coolie, It has always been a struggle, but after I got it on Henry so much clicked into place for me. Henry and struggled through this exercise for 20 minutes or so, and then he gave up fighting and I managed to do the right things. 

We left the safety of the 20m circle and started trotting around the outside, maintaining the same frame and contact. When the contact was good and Henry was straight, his tort was lovely. It felt so different, active and together. If he fell in, I needed to think shoulder fore, but maintain the outside contact. For me that was the key. We really got it by the end.
This is our gallop track

On the left rein, I had to think about turning right at all times to ensure we were straight. It was much easier than on the right rein, and once I had the hang of it, I could make small adjustments quickly and we would maintain the same rhythm for a lot longer.

In the canter it was a similar exercise, but Henry found it much easier. He is more in front of the leg in canter so finds it easier. He was slow off my leg in transitions, so Bec had us change rein onto a 12m circle, then back onto the 20m circle and strike off into the canter within 2 strides. It helped to sharpen the transitions and ensure we had the correct bend and flexion, essentially helping me set up for the transition better. On both rein Henry offered a pigroot, because being straight was hard. I laughed at him and told him to get over it, being straight is his life now. Horrible mother, I know.
Gah, he is too cute!

While the lesson was something we have worked on before with Coolie and something I should know (and I do!) it was very productive. Asking Henry to step up and work more correctly was eye opening because he just got on with it, and when everything clicked in, angels sang and it felt wonderful. It was eye opening for me as to how a horse should go correctly, not fight! All up I was on board for an hour and a half but it zipped by in no time.

My coach and I had some really good conversations about what I was feeling, and comparing my two horses. We also discussed my goals for the year and some other things going on in my head. It clarified a few of my feelings, and they are both happy and sad.
You looking at me?

We have a lot of homework, but I understand the feeling I need now. I feel like achieving the next step is within my grasp. Having a horse built to do a job makes a huge difference, and Henry's attitude is spot on too. He wants to be there with me, and he likes working. He finds it easy too and it makes a really big difference. It makes it fun!

Comments

  1. Sounds like a really great session with your trainer. A good work ethic goes a long, long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that feeling when the horse just.... does the thing haha! it doesn't always happen like that but i like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes life much easier! I am hopeful that it goes like that more often!

      Delete
  3. A great lesson! And I love the new look of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, i thought it was time for a change!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a really great lesson! I love when things just start clicking between horse and rider.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts