We are not afraid of the dark!

In Australia, eventing is a winter sport. It doesn't snow where I live, or get too cold. It just gets rather warm in summer. One of the challenges I face is trying to work 2 horses, when it gets dark by 5.30, with no lights. I also don't have an arena, but I make do.

Coolie ears by torch light
For my birthday OH got me a head torch. Best. Present. Ever! It is so handy when we camp at events. More recently, I have discovered that it is super handy for flat work at home in the dark. Last night I decided to work Dakota as I have just changed her over to a loose ring snaffle from an eggbutt. I wanted to work her prior to show jumping training tonight. So we started on the flat at about 5pm, with my torch on my helmet. I switch it on before it gets too dark so we both adjust as the light fades. She was working quite nicely and not fussed about working only by the light of the torch.

getting ready for her indoor SJ debut
Coolie decided he was having none of being left out and took to galloping the fence line like a pork chop. I took it as him begging to be ridden, so I decided to hop on him in the dark. I have ridden him with the torch before and while he didn't mind, I was a bit worried about using it straight away.

The torch proved to be fine, and he worked very well! I kept it short because he was so good, very subtle and a far more consistent frame. I have just changed his bit too, to see if it helped him accept the contact, and so far so good.


So the torch is a clear winner.

Looking cute
Tonight we are show jumping indoors at Brookleigh. I like to take opportunities to practice indoors as much as I can and Brookleigh is a great facility.


Dakota was fantastic. She has only been indoors once for a dressage test so didn't get much opportunity to settle. Tonight we worked on maintaining a consistent rhythm and getting her to relax. After a few reminders she got it and jumped beautifully. She was very tidy and ended up jumping about 90, so I was pretty happy with her.

90 is getting a bit easier
Feeling relaxed




















Coolie was feeling a bit spooky and backed off into the first few fences. I think he finds reading the jumps in different light a bit hard. After he warmed up into it, he also jumped really well. He is starting to get much more comfortable over 105, and his legs are getting tidier. I still need to work on getting the right canter with enough energy coming into the bigger fences. I have a tendency to keep it too slow, which puts us too close to the jumps.

Flying over 80





Coolie mastering 95

90 feels like it's not even there





A very successful evening all up. OH kindly came along to help out and take photos (he is the best!), using a real camera rather than a phone, so we have some better pictures for a change.


Comments

Popular Posts