Wow, just wow!

This week has been another wet  week, so  we have been  spending a lot of  time  on the trails. It's been a good mental break, but on Saturday the  sun came out which was perfect since Henry and I went cross country training. 

Saturday morning, amazing!

We went with my coach and 4 other riders and we had a fantastic time!  The facility was very busy  with the pony  club state dressage champs on at the same time. It was really good, having a bit of extra atmosphere for Henry to deal with. Well, maybe for me to ride Henry through. He cares a lot less than me...

Wild hair Tuesday

Henry was reactive but I gave him a job while we warmed up and he settled really well. We warmed up over a log a couple of times, then angled the log off each rein to test if we could place the horse exactly where we wanted to. Henry was super and I was really riding properly for a change. Usually it takes me a few goes to get the forward canter needed for XC but I had it right away. 

Drowned rat Wednesday

We did a course, starting with angling the log, then coming over a chevron, over a much bigger log and finishing with a skinny 95 log. Henry was super, ticking each jump off like yep, easy peasy. 

Bigger log, old picture

We moved onto the sunken road, starting with an upright log, down a ski jump, over a roll top and then a combination of a log, through the ditch and out oven an upright. I got the first two jumps really good, but the roll top I just didn't allow him to flow enough, so I came around again and it felt much better. The final combination flowed really well, probably the best I've ever ridden it.




Next we visited the water and we started by dropping straight into it. Usually we would canter through the water and jump out before jumping in but I wanted to test Henry. He's such a star he popped in with no fuss. Next we jumped a log before the water, then the smaller jump into the water and then came around to the 1* jump into the water. Henry was foot perfect and no drama popped in. I hadn't been nervous but I had a massive adrenaline hit when we landed! It  sure made me put my leg  on but I don't think Hen really even noticed. I have never jumped that jump before,  not even with Coolie!

We did another bending  line with some terrain which was easy then jumped back into the water. Seriously the most easiest thing ever. 

To finish we jumped the bending line again and then had a big gallop before sitting Henry up, popping a roll top, keeping my leg on to go three strides up a big hill and jumping a brush fence at the  top. This  was one of the  hardest lines we have done and it really  needed a forward ride. We nailed it!  I was so proud of Henry, he was a super star all day. He was so willing and settled really well especially after Gidge. 

He really does find it very easy and once we get this confident show jumping 95 will come quickly. We are fairly consistently training 95-105 lines and height and he  is so game for it. One thing Bec said is that she thinks our saddle still isn't quite  right. He  wants to put his head up all the time, like he's still anticipating it hurting. To me it feels like he's just tense but Bec said it's not normal for him at all. It's not too serious but obviously needs sorting. I  thought the other day  I have always ridden him in a pad of some kind so that  will be my first  port of call. He might  just need a bit of extra padding. If that doesn't sort it we will get the fitter back out. Hopefully I can work it out and get him comfortable. 

We didn't jump this one, but it's much bigger when I walk up to it I'm sure!

To summarise, Henry is amazing, he jumped everything, I rode well and once I get my saddle sorted we have this in the bag. As much as you can with horses!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts