Taking it easy

It's been quite wet here recently so I have been taking the opportunity to do lots of bush riding. The horses definitely prefer it, and so do I really.

Henry had last week off so Coolie and I got some really lovely rides in. I was sick over the weekend so opted not to ride on Sunday. Monday I was still sick but tacked Henry up for a ride out anyway.

I need to start giving my baby horse more credit. a year to the day since his first ride at home and after a very quiet week he went out on his own, stood to open and close gates, walked over the creek crossing with water in it for the first time this year, walked past the scary sheep, marched through all the puddles with minimal drama (such a HUGE improvement!!), didn't spook at the kangaroos that were suddenly RIGHT THERE (those little devils blend into the bush really well), and didn't spook at the stealthy horse eating bandicoots.

The water thing still needs more work, but I don't think it's a fear thing. Once he works through the problem he is totally fine with it. But I am proud of him for walking through all the puddle without Coolie to go first. I think that is a big first for him.

Coolie and I have been taking the oppourtunity to work on fitness, so we trot up a lot of hills. I also add shoulder in and leg yields, and I should really make an effort to do more lateral work rather than just enjoying the ride. It's hard not to when the view is just so nice. I love looking out over the city, trying to spot landmarks. We are so lucky to live where we do. I never get sick of it! I really need to make time to go for a longer bush ride one weekend because there are some wicked trails further out. But I need to set aside about 3 hours to go out there. And preferably find a friend to go with because it's always more fun with a friend.

The weather is supposed to fine up this week so we will be back in the arena to keep chipping away at the flat work. Coolie and I have a local dressage and SJ competition on Saturday and I am going with a revised outlook and expectations.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts