Jonna Mclean Clinic - Henry

This year is the year of clinics it seems! Jonna Mclean is back in Perth and this time I had 2 lessons on both horses.

Henry was up first on Thursday, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect from him. The last time he went off the property was to his first competition which had slightly... explosive results.

After we had a life discussion about how we can in fact stand tied to the float and not carry on like a pork chop, I tacked up and headed to the arena. We were at my coaches place, somewhere we have been plenty of times but I decided to lunge anyway, just in case. Henry was very quiet so after a few circles each way I hopped on.

The quiet feeling carried over into the saddle, and after a chat with Jonna about what we have been working on and what we wanted to work on we got cracking. First off we started looking at our flat work. Everything to the left was very easy and straight, but the right was trickier. So we made sure I could move the shoulders using indirect rein and that all the buttons were working correctly.

After Jonna and I were happy with everything on the flat we moved onto jumping. We started off by trotting three trot poles. Henry didn't change anything so we trotted over a singe pole and then Jonna made a cross rail. Henry really surprised me and trotted right over quietly, just picking his feet up a bit higher. He was just as quiet on the other rein.
A boring little x

Next I picked up canter and sat quietly to let the fence come to us. Henry popped over quietly and cantered away on the correct lead. We popped over it again on the right and Henry was just as good!
Boring the other way too!

Jonna put the jump up to a straight rail, and we came around again on the left. Hen found it very easy. When we change rein however this time Henry dived down through his shoulders as he jumped and landed. A few repetitions making sure he was straight and not changing his rhythm and Jonna told me the best was to fix it was to put the jump up!
Two of my coaches and me!

Up the jump went to about 70cm, the highest Hen has really jumped and we cantered around again. This time he kept his shoulders up, but rapped the rail. Second time over and he flew, keeping his shoulders up again.
I love his effort

It was a very productive lesson, and I was pleased at how quiet Henry was. I think his recent more stressful outings have made him realise going to Bec's place isn't quite so scary!


Day two and Henry was feeling just as relaxed. He was more forward because he worked out pretty quick we were there for jumping. After a quick warm up we got right into jumping, starting out with trotting a little cross rail, which was a non event.

Jonna observed that Henry stalled very slightly in front of the fence so we worked on maintaining the rhythm, which produced a nicer jump.

From there we built up a small course, which included an oxer, the little cross and an upright. This was all quite easy really, we landed on the correct lead, and Henry maintained a nice rhythm. He still has to work out where all his feet are, and coordinate taking off, so we got some long spots and some short spots but it all felt really good.
Super awkward

Then Jonna added a water tray under the little upright. Hen has never seen anything like it at all, but I just rode positively to the jump and added a bit more leg and he hesitated a fraction before jumping.  I knew he jumped it quiet big, but I didn't think it was quite as big as it was when I watched the video back!


Superman!

He was a bit less exuberant after jumping it a few more times, and we included it in our course.
Boring the second time!

Jonna was looking for the same rhythm and for us to land on the correct lead. This wasn't always easy, because Henry had lots of green moments and isn't super adjustable yet. We got out of a few tricky spots though, and I was pleased with just how adjustable he actually was.
He can really use his whole body to jump

The last exercise we did was a 2 stride double, starting with a small cross, and the second jump being a cross rail spread. Hen popped the single cross fin, then saw the spread, and like the good boy he is, jumped it. since it was a bit new, he was extra honest and added a little bit more effort than required, taking a stride out and making it a massive flyer. It was a moment that I thought, I am so glad I event! I sat up, slipped my reins and we landed without incident.



Me and Henry: 'Bloody hell!'

Next time around we got the 2 strides no problem! Off the right rein the line was a bit wobbly with Henry drifting to the left a lot. This really tested my indirect rein aide before the fence and it took quite a few repetitions to get straight between the fences. After we got it, Henry got a big pat and we finished up.
Not a long spot!

Our main bit of homework is to establish our indirect rein right more. The left is fine, but the right is very heavy and not quite there. Henry has a good rhythm and mostly I just need to work on getting him more obedient to my aides. Jonna was very complimentary of how I rode him and how nice of a horse he is. Nothing like some compliments to boost the ego!

Comments

  1. Ha what a good boy!! Love that “omg!” pic over the liverpool ! He’s really coming along now, even with the whoopsie moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a pretty cool dude. He just has to work out how it all works, but thigs seem to be clicking in to place faster and faster

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts