Dryandra CNC - Show Jumping

After a fun evening and a really good sleep, show jumping was up first on Sunday morning. Dryandra is usually freezing so I was pleased nothing was frosty when we woke up before the sun. We took the horses for a walk, and Coolie managed to steal Henry's brekky. Henry was very sad, and I told Coolie that he had to jump extra well since he would have more energy.


My round was scheduled for 8.24, and I needed to walk the course, so I tacked Coolie up and walked him down with his rug on. I wanted to keep our warm up short and to the point and I didn't want him to get cold while we waited.

The course looked good, lots of changes of rein, but I walked the course thinking about exactly how I would approach each fence and what flexion Coolie would need to be in to get the correct lead on landing. I was pleased that no jumps were faced directly into the rising sun too. That has tripped me up before!


I really focused on keeping him in front of my leg, moving his shoulders around and our half halt in the warm up and after jumping a few fences we were ready to go in. Once again I planned on maximizing my time int he arena before my round started to keep Coolie relaxed and in the rhythm I needed him to be.

After I presented to the judge I trotted  for a little bit before I picked up the canter about half way down the arena and then circled back to jump 1. This worked nicely and Coolie popped into a great canter and didn't try out his usual shenanigans.


I am very pleased to say that our round was pretty much foot perfect. We got all our leads but one, which Coolie changed nicely in the corner, he didn't fight me once and I got the rhythm spot on. We felt like we had all the time in the world approaching each fence and we just felt so together.

The last line was a little strong, I could have half halted a little stronger I think but we left all the rails up and had air to spare so I was thrilled! You couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Now we just had to wait for XC!

Comments

Popular Posts