WAYER Cross Country Day

With so many events cancelled earlier this year, some events have decided to run cross country only comps. It's basically a dream come true, and this is the second one we have done. 



I was really really excited for the weekend, impatiently waiting for the draw to be posted and then for the courses to be uploaded to the cross country app so I could get a preview before I walked the course. My 80 course was lovely, and I knew we would have no problems with it what so ever.

I walked the course Friday night, eying up the 95 fences and chatting away with a friend while she walked her first 1* course. I provided moral support by telling her they all looked small when you were up hill to them, and if you didn't get too close. I am just that helpful!

Saturday was on and off spring rain all day. I had very kind times of 11.12 and 11.57 so I slept in and walk Rosie before I had to be anywhere. By the time we got there I was feeling a bit nervous, but not about the course, just about the warm up. Henry was very tense in the warm up, but I need to learn to chill the hell out, because me worrying only makes him worse. Plus he doesn't do anything so I need to get over myself!

Anyway, once we settled we warmed up well and I was keen to get in the start box and have some fun. With Coolie I always stood in the start box but can't with Henry, so I kept him walking through and timed it perfectly so we were walking through as they said go. He knows what the start box means and was ready!

From the second we hit the course Henry was on his A game, confidently jumping the first two fences without an issue. He was listening well, though strong. He was a bit spooky into 3 which was in the shadows, then was bold over 4AB. He then settled into a rhythm and I got my half halt back into 5. 

6 was a roll top before going up the mound and 7 was a nice easy picnic table after a steep downhill and 8 was a bench. He had a good look at that too, but jumped confidently when I put my leg on. 9AB was a roll top to a ditch that he cruised over, 10 was a ski jump and 11 a wall. I trotted him into 12 which was a drop before galloping down hill to the water.

We had a lovely time splashing through and jumping a roll top out before the sunken road which for the first time rode perfectly. Then it was a pheasant feeder and an upright and we were home!

I wasn't allowed to wear a watch but was pretty sure our time would be close, he was barely puffing and had had a total blast. 

I didn't have much time before our second round, so we chilled out for a few minutes before hopping back on to walk around. He was a lot more relaxed in the warm up, (and so was I ugh, relax woman!) but still dead keen out of the start box. He was a lot more adjustable throughout or second round, but I didn't let him bowl along as well as in out first round, instead I tried too hard to place him and didn't flow as well. Plus we were both a bit tired!

He did a super job, jumped clear and I know I need to not do as much next time. Plus I always seem to ride better the first time! I did look at all the 95 jumps as we rode past and felt like I could have done most of them which is cool! We have to wait to upgrade until next year, but by then he will be more than ready!

I ended up about 10th, only 0.8 seconds under optimum time. It was tight for the placings! It was such a fun day, and I can't get over how much fun Henry is to ride cross country. He is such a cool dude!




Comments

  1. Cross country only? That really is a dream! Glad the two of you had such a good run. He seems like a really good boy out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish all comps were XC only! He really does seem to enjoy it, plus he is so confident out there. Just the best fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts