Not the best day on paper

Such a classic eventing line, "not the best day on paper!". Because lets face it, things can look like they went badly but still go really well when it comes to horses. 

This weekend, Henry and I went to our second show jumping comp of the year. I put my big girl undies on and entered the 80. I repeated over and over again that we have done it before, I could do it and if it all went to shit, I could in fact withdraw. I was pretty zen about the whole thing the week leading up (thanks to some other stuff that went down and took a lot of my brain power!), but was pretty nervous on my drive to the show.

I wish we had looked this good at the show

I rocked up late (oops!) so missed the course walk for the 70, and ended up riding last (and late). Henry was a handful in the warm up but I found that quite helpful because it meant I had to get on and ride. He was jumping well in the warm up and I was thinking all about the flow, looking up, keeping my position, keeping my leg on, everything I needed to be doing. 

There were 3 horses ahead of us, so we stood around and waited while they went. That was a mistake. Henry went from 100-0 in that time and when we started our round he was totally unfocused and behind my leg. I tried to get him more forward but he totally zoned me out. We ended up having a stop because his attention was on the other ring we were jumping towards, and he didn't even look at the jump we were supposed to jump. The rest of the round was better but still lacking in energy. 

We didn't have this much energy at the show to look this good 

The jumps went up and I am pleased to report they still looked small. The course was fine, there were a few fillers added but I didn't think it would be a problem. I knew I would have to sit up and commit to a forward stride down the related line and just sit up and kick throughout the course.

I timed my warm up much better, though still failed to get him totally in front of my leg. The first 3 jumps were awkward. He'd be forward, then 2-3 strides out he would die, despite my leg being ON and then scramble over. After the third jump I got my stuff together and got him much more forward and the rest of the course flowed.

Things looked better when I rode forward!

I rode the related line from 7-8 great, exactly as I had planned. Then coming around to 9, a double with a funny looking fill in it he decided he needed a closer look. Probably I could have made him do it, but I didn't, I let him look and then he jumped it fine after that, and finished much better than we started. I wasn't competitive, so letting him look and hopefully build confidence isn't a big deal. Building my confidence is important to, so less than perfect but good enough is where we are now. 

At least the jumps look little?

So very much not a perfect day. I think we had a couple of rails too, just to seal the imperfectness in. However, I managed my nerves and didn't let the less than perfect rounds rattle me. Instead I rode better and made the changes I needed to to get things done. 

Next time I will get him more forward before we even start. Next time I will feel less rusty. Next time I will feel even more confident and positive. Because there is always a next time, and now I have done it, next time will be so much easier! 

Finished ok though 

Comments

Popular Posts