March maddness

 I have a full weekend of horse outings to document, but I was solo to all 3 outings so no related pictures, I guess thats mum life! No more help because someone needs to look after the child. 

Friday night we headed down to the state equestrian centre for a training evening in the indoor. It had been rescheduled twice because February was too hot, but Friday was really lovely, high 20s, with a breeze! I had 3 rounds, a 60 and 2 70's. I was very nervous, given it was out first 'official' outing since early November. 

Henry was pretty excited to be out but I was able to channel his freshness into his work. He warmed up great, jumping really well! 

Our first round was rusty, and he was pretty spooky in the indoor, but it was fine. I got a bit adrenalized towards the end but cooled it to finish well.

Our 2 70 rounds were a bit improvement, and I was so pleased with how responsive he was to me. I could make little adjustments and he was right there with me. I came out from our second round so pleased and proud for having been out and done the thing, even though I was all by myself. 

Looking cute and pro

Saturday we had our first dressage club rally. I shared 2 lessons with my friend. Our first lesson was with Bec, and we had a really constructive lesson on rider position and the influence we have over the horses. One thing I have learnt over summer is how well Henry responds when I use my seat properly. HE turns on a dime, so we worked on turns, and then stopping and going. It was quite enlightening and a great first session.

Our second lesson was with Liz, who is a notoriously hard task master with a wicked sense of humour. She really got into our position too, and I found I was really stiff through my pelvis and blocking Henry. I think my muscles had stiffened up between my lessons, which normally isn't a problem, but I'll maybe do some stretching next time so I can actually allow my horse to work properly. 

It was a good lesson, we did some leg yields, transitions but mostly looked at our positions. Henry for his part worked so nicely. He is so much stronger and using himself better all the time. When I allow him, he just powers along holding himself up. The moments of self carriage are getting more frequent, so I just have to keep chipping away.

From a different lesson, but ya know, needs must. 

Sunday, Henry and I went to the first comp of the year for us, show jumping at Taminga. I was solo again, but the nerves were very much in check. We had a round at 60 and one at 70. Henry was a little tired rom his busy few days, but warmed up well and my first round was good. Hen was tuned into me was responded well when I put my leg on. My position felt really string and again I was able to pull my head in when my adrenaline got up a bit. I found the 60 was too small and hard to ride because of that. We had a rail, I had him a bit too quiet into a double, but we still came 4th, so we got a shiny ribbon. 

Snoozin'

Our 70 round was fab. I was really really pleased with it, I actually made decisions through the course, rode the horse and felt solid in my position. We had a rail where I asked him to wait when I should have closed my leg, but I don't care. I actually made a decision, it was just the wrong one. So much better than sitting there like a muppet! Again my position felt strong and I think our second course flowed better. Really really please with our efforts this weekend! Now I think I am ready for bigger jumps again. 

Jumps are too small!

We finished up by 9, I was home by 10 and went for a run with the dog. What a great morning!









Comments

Popular Posts