Spring is itchy

We had quite a busy week last week! Spring is here (and not overly welcome, we haven’t had enough rain once again and it’s already getting warm. Ugh climate change!), the horses are shedding like crazy and the days are getting longer.

Wednesday the horses had their dental appointment and I am happy to report their teeth are both great. Henry had no issues whatsoever, but he did have a cut in the corner of his mouth. The vet thinks his but it too big and has been rubbing so now we have to go bit shopping. I have been thinking about if for a while but the bandaid has to be ripped off and I have to do it now. 

Coolie has had teeth issues since I have had him, but a change in management and consistent dental appointments have paid off and his teeth are normal! I am a bit proud of how much they have changed, it hasn’t been easy but it has paid off.





Saturday Henry got a bath and plaited because we had a comp on Sunday. The horses also spent long days on lawn mower duty at a neighbours place. They have been going over there on weekends to help out, they used to have horses and the paddocks all have very long grass. As you can imagine, the horses are happy to help. They know when we are heading over there and practically drag me over. Even Coolie who usually walks so slowly out walks Henry.

 I have a new bit on trial for Henry, a port mouth Trust bit. He likes it, he so far has been so much more consistent into the contact and prepared to stretch. But he feels heavy in my hands and I feel like I don’t have the right kind of fine control with it. So I don’t think it’s the one. Next I will try a bomber bit. Coz I love spending money on my ponies (and I can get one on trial too!).

 Saturday I jumped at home and Henry was amazing. We finally seem to have got the show jumping deamons sorted out, his saddle fit right and I have a happier more confident horse. He jumped like an absolute rocket, and at one point I nearly got jumped off. It’s a good feeling, even while your brain is screaming at you to not fall off.

 Coolie jumped on Sunday for the first time in months. The amount of work he’s in has slowly been increasing as the days have gotten longer. He is thriving now, I feel like I have the balance about right with him and he feels fit, healthy and ready to go. So I feel like he is finally fit enough to jump. I put the jumps down and kept the course simple and he promptly told me he knows exactly what to do and also tried to jump me off. Ok then! Andrew then put the jumps up a bit and Coolie flew.

Coolie is a totally different ride to Henry. Henry is cool, calm, steady and easy. Coolie is a little rocket fuel powered go-go horse. Probably I missed the calling eventing him rather than show jumping him. He jumps fast and clean, which he showed me yesterday. So now I am working towards a comp with him later this year.

The weather is set to be wet this week and I am crossing my fingers we get plenty of rain. This week I have a lesson and the weekend will see us show jumping again!




Comments

Popular Posts