Orange Grove SJ and Dressage

 Sunday saw Henry and I competing at the Orange Grove show jumping and dressage day. We have been to these plenty of times before, I find them very useful training outings. This one worked out well for my intensive show jumping training period and I thought I should do a test while I was there. 

The draw worked out so that I did my first round of jumping before dressage, which I was happy about because I figured it would help settle Henry. Henry was very chilled all day which was wonderful after our last few, slightly hectic events. I think I get down to business faster in a jumping warm up than I do dressage. Something to note for future!

Our first round was at 75, and I wasn't nervous at all. There was plenty of fill that I made sure to ride past before we started, and my plan was to ride forward with my leg on. We went in, and Henry had a good look around before proceeding to jump around perfectly. He landed on all the correct leads, listened to me, jumped everything confidently and felt amazing. He jumped clear so we did an immediate jump off, and I rode more forward, and tried to do shorted lines. He was a bit confused but willing, and just tapped a rail when I interfered in the air over a jump. My bad!




We quickly changed our gear and headed to do a short dressage warm up. Henry felt really good, he was relaxed and willing. We practiced a few things before we went in, checking off things were smooth and we were ready. 

On our trot around the arena, Henry got very tense, and I think I was a little too. I got him a bit softer before we entered, but we lost the softness we had warming up. Our test felt tense, but had ok moments. His transitions were all really good, prompt and willing which was a good improvement. He felt more consistent over all, but the new bit meant I felt like I didn't have quite the same level of responsiveness I usually do.   I tried my best to ride the horse and not the test, and I was largely successful, though I need to work on being more effective faster and and not getting as frozen in my arms. I think once I crack that and work out the right bit we will hopefully see a bit more progression. We can only hope!

We had a bit of time before my 85 round, so we had an early lunch and relaxed before getting tacked up again. Henry reckoned he was very tired, we don't usually do 2 rounds of jumping and dressage! Poor pony. He warmed up well again, and was jumping super.

I didn't get quite forward enough in before jump 1 though, and though He jumped well, had 2 rails when we got a touch deep. Again he was confident over everything and it felt really easy. He didn't blink at any of the changes to the course and I was very proud of him.

It was a very productive day overall, and whilst we didn't win any ribbons, the experience was very valuable which is the main thing. We even got home just after lunch which is even better if you ask me!

Comments

Popular Posts