Long weekend lesson

What is better than a lesson on a long weekend? Nothing really!

I need to get back to a consistent lesson schedule because I have been struggling at home on my own recently. I barley rode the last week, we had storms every day it was crazy! And it rained, which was pretty exciting.

Anyway I rocked up to my lesson, spurs in tow and knuckled down. We continued to build, this time on the collection and getting Henry to sit back on his hocks and keep his back legs under him. I am starting to get a really good feel for it which is good.

To warm up I needed to get him really pumping forward and maintain the contact. No loose reins, he has to accept the contact right away. That doesn't mean collection, he can have a longer frame but I can't throw the contact at him. After I got him pumping and forward we started on collection but I was still having issues with contact.

We stopped and talked about it, and I need to really focus on riding with my outside rein because thats the one I tend to give away when I really shouldn't. Once I got it in my head, we were golden and it made everything so much easier. I could feel what was going o better, and react and fix things faster. Honestly these things are so easy to know but so hard to do!

After that everything clicked in quite well. We worked on a circle lengthening and shortening the trot and canter, but not making it slower. Henry found it hard, especially on the canter. He had to use himself properly. We also added 12m circles to check we were doing it correctly.

During my lesson I also had a chat with Bec about what has been going on at home. I realised last weekend that I have been holding which is usually what I do in competitions but it has transferred to home too. She asked what I do in lessons and I said what I  am told, I am always super chilled in my lessons, pumped and ready to learn. So we chatted about how to make riding at home better, what I need to do to make it more successful. We also chatted about how to be more successful in a competition and I have a firm plan of attack! It was useful to identify these issues and talk through them, I get so frustrated because my confidence and  ability  is at an all time high I just can't seem to make to all work on my own!

So pleased to feel back on track. My rides since have been much better, although the outside rein is still being pesky!


Comments

  1. looking good to me!! so glad you all got some rain too!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts