Summer Essentials

There a few things that make summer bearable here in Western Australia. We have had a few reasonable mild summers for the last 4 years but this summer is set to be a record breaker so I need to come to terms with being a hot weather person.

Air conditioning is a life saver and I am very grateful we have aircon in our house and at work, and in the cars.
We can also go for a swim!

Insulated water bottles are a must have to keep drinking water cold for when you need it. Warm water is yuck when you're so parched you can't speak. I have a small selection and fill them all up when I know it's going to be hot. I usually add some gatorade powder in to one to help prevent dehydration.

Suncream here is essential. The UV index is always in extreme and you need to be protected from the sun every time you step outside. I use moisturiser with suncream in on work days, and days when I am home and need to get things done outside I use zinc cream, SPF50, long sleeves and a hat. We grew up always knowing slip, slop, slap.

For my riding gear, I am in love with Kerrits Icefill shirts. They are the coolest shirts there are, light and comfortable even when it's hot. I always ride in long sleeves and these are hands down the best. I have 3 in various shades of blue and they are so light you don't notice you are wearing anything. They are flattering and are smart enough to wear to clinics, lessons and training days. I also have some Ariat sunshirts which are ok, and also have 2 shirts from Emcee Apparel, and Australian brand. They are also super comfy, but not as good as the Kerrits!

I also have a selection of light weight breeches and tights. I started out with Noble Outfitters balance riding tights and they are ok, but I find the fabric doesn't breathe well. Plus I prefer grippy breeches and these only have a knee patch. I have Black Horse Bridget breeches and these are super light, comfy and stretchy and very flattering, look smart and I use them for when we have lessons or clinic and I need to look a bit smarter. Sadly the silicon seat hasn't held up as well as I'd like.

At the start of summer I purchased some Bare Equestrian tights and these things are the bomb. They are the weight of exercise tights but have a full silicone seat and a phone pocket. They are comfy, light and grippy. They are my new love and I will need to add another pair to my collection I think. They aren't really nice enough to wear in lessons (but I am very fussy)

I definitely have a favourite outfit!

For the horses I make sure I add extra electrolytes to their feed on hot days, make sure they have plenty of fresh cool water and good fly veils. The Wild horse ones seem to be holding up well so far. They also have access to shade at all times.

I always avoid riding in the hottest part of the day, I will usually ride before work since thats when it's most pleasent.

Comments

  1. oh man, i'm never sure what i dislike the most: the height of summer or the height of winter.... lol. possibly summer, bc at least in winter you can add more layers?! i've never really come around to sunshirts either, to be honest. i own a few and wear them often -- but never on the hottest days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't wear sleeves I will burn to a crisp! The sun is harsh here and I hate the feeling of suncream, it's a lesser evil!

      i think I would prefer our summer to your winter. Our winter isn't so bad though :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts