Nothing is broken

It was a very wet weekend here, so much lovely rain and I didn't even get too wet!

On Saturday morning Henry and i had another flatwork lesson. The weekly lessons have been a huge help, and our progression has been so much faster which is what I expected. Henrys shape has been changing heaps too, his topline is looking much better. He is generally looking more filled out and stronger.

Our lesson was a continuation of the things we have been working on, self carriage and contact. I am very happy to report that I can now hold the contact like a normal person and the difference is amazing. We worked some more on self carriage and keeping Henry forward through changes of rein and into transitions and overall it was a very successful lesson.

I decided to scratch from my competition on Sunday as I wasn't comfortable jumping on the very wet, slippery grass at the venue. I didn't want Henry to lose confidence and while I could have gone and just done dressage I decided to just be lazy and not go at all. The idea of getting up early after 2 nights out, plaiting and packing the float for 1 test in the rain was not appealing at all.

Instead Andrew and I went for a nice bush ride. We were having a lovely time until we were trotting up one hill in particular, Coolie was trying to race Henry, Henry tried to canter and I told him no. So he did a buck. Not a very big buck, but it caught me out and unbalanced me enough to hit the deck.

I landed on some rocks and holy shit did it hurt. Moving was painful, breathing was painful, my hand was bleeding but I knew it would be way faster to ride than walk so I got back on and we walked home. Longest ride back ever.

When it hurt even more to breath I went to emergency where I waited 4 hours to get the results of an x-ray. Good news is I haven't broken any ribs (just my ego, dammit!) but I have probably torn my muscles. Kinda wish I had gone to the show now 😂😭. The hospital did give me some good pain killers which helped quite a bit (but it still hurts so bad!) and sent me home with peace of mind though.

Not the best end to the weekend at all. Worst part is how stupid it was to fall off. I've ridden through so much worse yet Henry just caught me out, the little bugger. Good thing is he has no idea what happened because he is a good boy and wasn't trying to get me off, he was just peeved he couldn't gallop like he wanted to. Weirdly he only ever does it in that spot when he's with Coolie. Everywhere else is fine so who knows. I'll be extra careful from now on though and make sure I'm strong through my core.

I'll also get the saddle fitter out because I think both of my saddles need a refit. They are tipping me forward which wont be helping things at all.

Moral of the story? Don't be a fair weather rider and scratch from the show you entered. Just go do it! Or maybe just sit up more all the time.

I'm sure me and my ego will be patched up in no time.

Comments

  1. ouch i hope you feel better soon! And yes go to the show next time :) HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it would have been safer to go haha

      Delete
  2. yikes, that's awful!! i'm so sorry you're so battered and bruised, tho it's a relief nothing more serious happened. why is it always those seemingly "little" unexpected moments that do the most damage?!? feel better soon :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gravity is the worst. As is the pile of rocks I couldn't quite avoid. Thanks, I am starting to get some good bruises

      Delete
  3. Ow! I cracked ribs before and god it hurts so much! Not much you can do either except wrap it and it really sucks. I feel you. I hope the painkillers help tho and that you're feeling better soon! And yeah, don't feel bad. I fell off of this mare like 3 times in 30 minutes (thank god she was 2 and like 14 hands or below so I didn't have too far to fall). It was horrid because you'd be riding along and something would just startle her, and she'd duck that shoulder and her body out from under you before you even realized you were falling. Then I'd sit there in the dirt like WTF just happened?! It happens to us all lol. And as you said at least Henry is a good boy and had no idea what happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes gravity just gets the better of us I think. Thanks, I feel better already!

      Delete
  4. Ouch!! Sorry about the fall. That sucks when they don’t do anything super bad but just catch you off guard. Hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am on the mend and plan on getting back on board today

      Delete
  5. Oh man! I'm glad nothing is broken but DAMN. If I'd been in your shoes, I totally would've scratched as well, so I'll def remember this next time I'm in that position. At least the pictures of you guys look great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts