2024 - a rough guide




Ahh here I go again attempting to document my horse life. I always feel I have lots to write but when it comes to putting pen to paper I start, and then the words dry up, or it seems like pointless drivel, or I decide it's not important in my life and I'd rather scroll on my phone for hours. 

It's the beginning of the year, a time of new habits, or reinstating old ones. So here I go again trying to blog about my horse life.

Last year saw some changes in my horse world. I got a rider for Coolie, and he is thriving, they both are! I took a huge step back from competition and felt really good about it, and now feel excited about the year to come. I went to a new riding club to make friends (and succeeded) and made inroads in elementary dressage. I followed my heart better and listened to myself more. It was fun, though not a very exciting year.

The year ended with a few minor lameness issues which resulted in me spending a great deal of money at the vet to find an abscess (phew! Who needs money). But hopefully that is all out of the way and we can get on with things. We can only hope, as things were a bit iffy for a moment there. 

This summer I'm going to try and have a cow work lesson. I think working cows will be great for Henrys confidence and a bit of fun for us. I just need to get around to organising it. 

I am also going to work toward my coaching qualification and finally get it done! I've been saying it for years but this is the year I'll do it!! I have a plan on how to move forward, but again I need to take the step to starting. Actually starting, not just planning. 

This summer I am going to spend time building Henrys muscle up and getting more consistent at elementary dressage. It's hard work, and it is really challenging me as a rider. I like it though, it's been really fun to step out of our comfort zone. 

Summer is also going to consist of working on a few jumping basics, like riding forward to a fence, keeping the engine going through turns and getting Hen to sit, push and use himself over the jumps. Lots of basics and keep building the confidence up. 

I am planning to go back to my dressage club this year, but not the other club. instead I will be focusing on lessons more and going to a few other coaches and taking more training oppourtunites. 

Comp plans for the year involve dressage and starting small in jumping and building our way back up. No point jumping bigger jumps when I don't feel confident to do it. Better to stay small and get it right, I would much rather look good jumping  small than to look like a mess jumping bigger. I'm looking forward to it and roughly plan to do 1 comp per month with a bit of dressage club and dressage comp thrown in. 

2023 was all about balance and I want to continue with that. Balancing work, family and horses it tricky but I feel that in my 30s I'm starting to get it right! 


Comments

Popular Posts