Show jumping super star

With 2 shows* left this side of bump, I thought Coolie and I should have another lesson. He has been going so, so well and feels amazing but eyes on the ground are invaluable and I knew we could do with some pointers.

Bec had set up some sitting and waiting exercises which is where Coolie will forever and always need work. There was a grid, then 3 other jumps set on the arena off turns. As always we started trotting over 4 poles set 2 trot stride a part. Bec wanted Coolie to relax and lift his back, stay soft and forward and reach over the poles. He was excellent and we ticked off all that after a few repetitions each way. I need to remember to carry my hands and soften when he does, plus keep my leg on. All the usual stuff really.

Canter was much the same, though I needed to keep my leg on through the turn and allow more with my hands when we did have the right, soft canter. He maintained such a good rhythm though and all the corrections were very minor.

Bec put a jump up so we had 3 canter poles and an upright, coming in with a nice collected, quiet canter. The jump changed nothing, but Coolie struggled to keep the right rein, and he does bulge right a little which is probably connected. He is 18 though, and has had 2 years off so we can allow him a little bit of slack. He is straight at a comp too so I would say he is trying to give himself a bit more room and power from a smaller canter.

From the grid we turned right and added an upright, sometimes landing on the correct lead and sometimes having to do a change. He did a few really nice, quiet changes which is progress and then popped the second fence well. First time through I got a nice deep spot and rode to it, and while the canter was probably a bit too quiet I committed to the take off.  The next few times through I adjusted to a stronger canter after the grid and got a less deep spot.

Next we turned left after the grid to an oxer and the first time other than needing to circle before I got a great canter and it came up perfectly. Second time through we nailed it. I was so proud of myself for getting the canter right the first time. It’s something I struggle with, I love jumping from a slow canter but you kinda have to be going somewhere.  

We removed the grid from the course and finished the lesson jumping all the fences twice. There were a few bits that I needed to smooth out, especially on the right rein, but overall it was a great lesson.

*Hopefully, fingers crossed, I’m getting quite a large bump!

Comments

Popular Posts