Pre event lesson

I had intended to write this post first, before my posts about Gidge but I got all caught up with the excitement of eventing. Can't blame me though, eventing is the best ever.

I had a lesson the day before the event to maximise our confidence during the event. I find this works really well for us, my coach knows how to push us to give us the perfect boost. She always gets extra mean before an event so things are perfect too. I really appreciate all her help for sure!
We warmed up over poles and built up to a jump with ground poles. the single jump got up to about 1m before we started course work. Henry was feeling amazing after his saddle fit and physio session and I was so relieved!

We started out jumping a short course set at 80, starting with an upright and a related line. It went smoothly and Henry was doing flying changes and everything! We then did the second half of the course which went ok too. I just needed to ride forward and squeeze at the base of the jumps, but I am getting so much faster at making decisions. 
I did get in BIG trouble when I made a very bad mistake. I will NEVER do it again though, thats for sure.  I royally fucked up the double and I don't think my coach has ever been so mad at me. Oops!

We went back through and Henry is basically the best ever, jumping through like I hadn't done anything wrong. He is such a unicorn I tell you! Our final course for the day was an upright off the left rein, landing right, up a related line, right over the double, angling the first element of the related line and then finishing with the bending line. The bending line was so hard for me, and I really needed to sit quieter and ride more clearly. 
To finish up we practiced over the bending line, smoothing things out and having me calm the fuck down about it. I did get it better but never nailed it. Something to work on for sure. I was so pleased we had practiced this line when I saw the bending line on the course at Gidge. We usually don't have lines like that, I was surprised to see it in the course, but it was nice to have something different!
We ended up finishing on a course with the jumps set between 90 & 95 and it felt easy. I certainly ride much better when the jumps start getting to that height. It was such a great lesson right before a competition, it left me filled with confidence and a good plan for what would be needed on the day!

Double bonus, the Pivo (steve-o) worked so well!




Comments

  1. Love that you had such a great lesson! So wonderful that your trainer knows you so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been my coach for such a long time, I don't even want to count. She's probably even stricter than ever because of it!

      Delete
  2. What a great lesson! And you guys look amazing over those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we get it right it's amazing. Just so hard to get it right!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts