Challenge accepted!

So for my second lesson we added fill into the course Henry and I were doing on Saturday. All I said was "I want to jump some fill" and Jonna heard "I would like to jump over anything you say". Challenge accepted (Jonnas challenge: find random stuff. My Challenge: Jump random stuff and not fall off).

I warmed up cantering a cross rail very calmly, then Jonna had me jump the second element of the double which now had barrels under it. The jumps were smaller than on Saturday and Henry popped over just a little bit wiggly so we came around again and we maintained our line and pace much better. We then added the first element of the double and interestingly it changed how Henry read the barrel jump a lot. he didn't care about the fill under the first element, but he gave those barrels a hard stare and I did not go with him when he cat jumped and I landed in a heap, circling and representing where I stayed with him and jumped both jumps. I am not perfect! Those watching thought I was a goner and were relieved I didn't fall, and it was the unwanted reminder I needed to stay with my horse. I found I was sitting up on landing way better in this lesson because the fill forced me to be strong in my position.

We jumped through the double a few times, with Jonna changing the profile of the jumps by moving things around. Henry showed he didn't care about cavalletti block or the barrels being moved around, but cones on top of the cavalletti clocks were worth a hard look and a lot of air time!

By the time we jumped a normal filler Henry didn't give a shit about it at all, and got in nice and deep. We built all the jumps into a course and it was pretty easy so Jonna pulled out some more stuff, a skinny gate and a fit ball. The ball went under the oxer and the skinny jump went up all on its own. Jonna also put a sign in the middle of the double just off center to try and get Henry to deviate from my line.


We gradually introduced the skinny jump, jumping to on an angle from the trot before jumping it from an upright position. Henry was fine with it, very casual so Jonna lay it flat on the floor and told me not to step on it. I fully expected this to cause Henry to give it a good look, but he barley glanced at it and I had to give him a kick to make sure he didn't step on it!

When we came back to the double with the sign Henry didn't even notice the sign so Jonna moved it closer and Henry had a good hard look at it, moving off my line to avoid getting too close. When we came back through Henry deviated only a tiny amount. We came the other way and Henry spooked much less so we moved on!

To finish off we jumped our course but added in the jump with the ball. henry didn't get a chance to look at it before we jumped it and he was super wiggly and unsure on the approach and I just sat there and didn't do anything to help him out so he stopped. I left him sniff it before coming around again and jumping the crap out of it. we finished there completely high and giggling like the insane people we are. This lesson was absolutely what i needed, it made me nervous and got my adrenaline up and I worked through it and focused on what needed to be done. I came out the other side of that horrible feeling with confidence and a much better feel of what I need to do in that situation. I am hopeful that when I feel that way in future I will think back to this lesson and get the boost I need and be able to ride effectively.

These lessons made me feel so ready and confident to tackle Gidge in 2 weeks, nothing will look scarier than cones sticking up above the poles of the jumps! Plus I realised Henry is way more awesome than I thought he could be. My horse is getting to be very fancy and it's all my work that is making him that way.

I spent the rest of the day watching all the other lessons and it was incredible to fully immerse myself in horse training. The dynamic between my two coaches was cool to witness as they both nutted out problems combinations were  facing and it was really helpful to see how the training works rather than feel it. I wish i could bottle how I feel now, because I need this reminder when i am feeling low or over faced, and my brain is working over time to try and convince me I can't do this. i can do it and more than that, I love every single part of the horse training process.


Comments

  1. What a brave boy! You both look super

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a thinker and even when he's not sure he has a look and then hops right over.

      Delete
  2. Ha omgosh he almost looks bored in some of the pics! Y’all are gonna do great ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's getting used to my shit, and once he's got the idea he gets on with it because he thinks it's normal!

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! Sounds like a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome and I am so pumped now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts