Falling

I hate falling off. I mean I'm pretty sure no one actually likes it but I like to stress over it. Sums me up quite well I reckon.
Puppies help with stress though!
This weekend we tootled off to some show jumping. I entered Coolie in the 85, 95 and 105 classes, feeling brave and like we need to give 105 a crack and get comfortable at that height.

Is it just me, or do competitive show jumping heights look bigger than eventing heights? I mean they are fine, but they seem big! I'm a wuss though...

Anyway, Coolie was feeling FRESH this weekend. He had a very easy week in the lead up to the event, and he was full of it! He calmed down a bit as we warmed up, but then went into the ring and decided it was game on!
85

He listened reasonably well though, and I rode good lines in the 85 finishing clear to place 4th.

Next up the 95. He was feeling great off the ground and jumped nicely. I let him get a bit flat into the double, having the first rail, then we got deep and I was too far forward over 9 so got a second rail. I was disappointed with 2 rails, but I felt my position was so much better, and I felt like we were more together. We placed 4th again!
85

Next up the 105. I very nearly walked away before walking the course. I am just not confident at the height. I can't shake the feeling of things ending badly, even though we have the scope.
So much leg tuch!

I walked the course, trying to convince myself they height hadn't changed. Then I hopped on to pop over a few warm up fences. I was determined to get everything right. I had the right canter and Coolie felt good over the upright. Then we came round to the oxer. Leg on, good canter, but not enough. Coolie got to the base of the fence and just couldn't. He stopped, and I fell.
Tidy!

Lucky for me it was a soft fall, and I hopped right back up. I scratched from the class, but hopped back on and Hubby lowered the vertical jump. We cantered over it no problems, then popped it back to 105 and Coolie LEAPED over it. I was feeling game, so I cantered around to the oxer again. I was determined. The canter was PERFECT and we nailed it. Twice. Then I hopped off, hugged my pony and thanked him for being truly wonderful.

The drive home was full of discussions about the future. I didn't dwell on the fall, but took home the positives. I didn't die, I did it again but better, and my horse is a saint.

The last few weekends have taught me some big lessons, and made me rethink our future but that is a different post.
Bright end to a post!

Comments

Popular Posts